Author Topic: Forrest MTB Festival 2012  (Read 2459 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline timL

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: 0
Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has been to or is going to this year's Forrest MTB Festival? http://www.forrestfestival.com.au/stages/

Looks like a fun event but I've never raced or even been to a MTB event before so not sure if this would be a good starter or not.

Do people take these events pretty seriously or is it more social? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thought it could be good motivation to get the legs fit over the next cpl months.

Cheers Tim.


Offline Will

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 413
  • Karma: 4
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
Hey Tim,

I went last year and I'm going again this year.  It was without a doubt the best event I did last year.  The whole town is full of MTBers and outside of the riding there is a really good friendly vibe, and a brewery. 

It doesn't matter whether you're fast or slow because after stage 1 you'll be riding with people of similar ability.  Also, because none of the stages are laps, you don't have to contend with getting lapped.   

Cheers,

Will     

Offline IIITAK3NIII

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 262
  • Karma: 0
  • SCRAYOG
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »
Can you do it on the cheap Will? I'm sick of going on mtb trips and spending 800 bucks

Offline Will

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 413
  • Karma: 4
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »
Yeah, other than the entry and a few beers you spend most the time riding.  I'm staying in a cabin in the caravan park, I might have some space if you're interested. 

Offline Brossie (Tim)

  • LDTR Committee
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2132
  • Karma: 5
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
Hey Tim,

You will love it mate, and you will get hooked. As Will said, MTB events are always fun to go in, and you get riders of all levels. So blokes you look at and wonder how they will survive one lap. Main thing is to listen behind you, let the fitter riders pass, and chat with all the normal riders in the pack.

98% of MTB riders are super friendly. The other 2% either ride 29ers, or mostly roadies (thems fightin' words).

But nah mate, definitely go in it.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline IBO

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 31
  • Karma: 0
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
So i am not friendly Tim - i have 2 * 29ers and a roadie.....



and i know where you live  :)

Offline Brossie (Tim)

  • LDTR Committee
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2132
  • Karma: 5
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »
Oops, thought I was Trekrider there for a second. Just fishing.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Martin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1003
  • Karma: 0
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
i'm only unfriendly on my 29er...
Mountain bike instruction and coaching: www.dividingrangemtb.com.au

Offline timL

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: 0
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

Pulled the trigger and entered the Open 20-29 age group.

Now to just put in the hard yards over the next 39ish days and hopefully I won't come stone cold last ???

Offline Will

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 413
  • Karma: 4
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
Good one, you'll have a blast.

Offline AndrewM

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 170
  • Karma: 2
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
Hey Tim L, only 32 days mate, you don't train much in the lead up week!! pressures on hehehhehe

Offline Brossie (Tim)

  • LDTR Committee
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2132
  • Karma: 5
Re: Forrest MTB Festival 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
Usually there is a prize for last place
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!