Author Topic: Trail Building  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Oliver

Trail Building
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:35 AM »
All,

I have just completed the IMBA workshop for building Sustainable trails. Thanks to Snozza and IMBA in organising this course and letting a member of the newly formed LDTR club be apart of it.

The last part of the course was a maintaining the track behind Trailmix. We took out some bog holes from the track and close to the dam wall we have started a cool project of building some burmed turns ( 1 rock wall burm ). Hopefully we can get some pics up of this to show all what we started.

"I would also like Procon for supplying a Excavator complete with operator for the day, this helped us moving large rocks and building the rock wall for our super cool burm turn."

Know its time though for the club to step up. I would like to propose a build day next weekend to complete what has already been started. We need about 10 people to help finish off this small section of track. Please forward your interset to this forum so we can organise time to start and tools. Non club members most welcome to come along and give us a hand.

"Building, Advocating and Riding"

Thanks

Oliver.

Offline Andrew

Re: Trail Building
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
What is the latest?

When is the next trail day (i am unavailable until after the 5th (and then its on))

Offline Oliver

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:46:40 PM »
Just a small note to all those who came along to the LDTR trail building day last Saturday. I was meant to hand out some Club Membership forms but got a little carried away with the building. Membership for the club costs $75 for members with no MTBA license and $55 for current MTBA members.
Your money goes to fund the club so we can access government grants and build better trails in Lysterfield and surrounding areas. Most important for all trail builders is the inclusion of Insurance whilst building trails and also riding. We will put the IMBA Policy on our club website. Cannot state strongly enough for all to join as the more paid up members we have the better the club will become.

In regards to further Trail Building I have also been thinking of the huge task ahead. My opinion is that we should have a monthly trail building day where we build feature trails which will require diggers, materials and lots of planning, but on the other weeks maybe we can catch up for a ride and then work on a muddy section of trail just with hand tools. I.E dig out bog holes or even minor re-routes what ever is easier. Question is how to get the tools into our location but maybe we can arrange PV to deliever and pick up tools at certain times in the park. Would not think that these minor trail maintenance working bees to last longer than a couple of hours so we can all get back to our normal weekends and even get a ride in.

Just some thoughts let us know who is keen or any other ideas.

On the issue of a Facebook site sounds like a good idea, as stated before the more members we have the better, and we are always looking on ways to get our name out there.

Offline Kathie

• Dandenong Ranges Nature Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »
I hadn't heard that someone mentioned Facebook but I would encourage all discussions take place here simply because we would end up with split discussions and makes it more difficult to track things.  I know that some are already connected on Facebook and that is great but I think the community needs to stay here on the forum at this stage?
Kathie Thomas
LDTR Forum Admin

Offline wayne

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »
I'm backing you on this Kathie.

The facebook social site will just cause more work and issues for nothing. I strongly believe staying well away from these social sites and keeping our information on our website. This will encourage riders/member to come and visit the site more often to not only find out what dates trail building is, but also find out what else is been said.

It?s already hard enough to keep track with here and rotorburn when you have a busy life.

Cheers
Wayne
LDTR Committee Member

Offline Oliver

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »
Thats cool, it was just an idea from another member at Rotorburn. I copy and paste on both sites at the moment but will eventually only post build dates on Rotorburn.

Maybe something for the next committe meeting.

Cheers Olly

flash

Re: Trail Building & Fixing
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:26 AM »
Well it has been a shocking summer and action is needed now.

I think the real power to rebuild is in educating the regular riders. What I would like to see is some video tutorials on fixing ruts and problems with the current track. That way I can go do a lap then come back to a spot with portable spade and backpack lined with plastic bag (granite soil and rock transport). I can fix 4 or more ruts a month x how many others want to do this.

Obviously there are part of the track that are completely wrongly designed and have in recent turned into rivers and require redesign to the mountain contours.

flash

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
p.s. Facebook should be used to pull interested parties back to this site.

flash

Re: MTB Trail Maintenance
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »
Not sure if this forum supports Youtube but here goes nothing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ied9sV06Fo0

If it does not work try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ied9sV06Fo0

Chearz Marty

Hanging out for a ride, anyone got a close alternative

Offline Kathie

• Dandenong Ranges Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
Flash, there are requirements with trail building and maintenance and the need to ensure you're covered for insurance and using the correct tools and doing things the right way.  I know that people are anxious and sometimes impatient - the park has a lot of trails but we have only been a club for just under a year and have much to learn.  Parks Vic and IMBA are both working with us on this.  I'm sure that Andy and Olly can add much more as they head up the trailbuilds and maintenance working bees.

But for now - the park is still out of bounds to riders until further notice and no-one should be riding there.

As for Facebook - we do have a page there now.  http://www.beta.facebook.com/Lysterfieldmtb?sk=wall, however for the purposes of ensuring everyone is on the 'right page' so to speak, it is important trail build plans take place here.
Kathie Thomas
LDTR Forum Admin

Offline cam229

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
Hey there Flash,

Rides close by to Lysty include Dallas Brooks Park in Upper Beaconsfield, pretty technical in some spots and a bit of downhill, but overall quite entertaining.

We went up to the Dandenongs on Sunday morning, 7.30 start at Grants Picnic Ground (before the crowds arrived) and hit the fire trails and the walking tracks, 16 kilometres in about 1.5 hours, pretty steep ascent on one track and a couple of fun decents, just stay off the "no bike" signed tracks, PV will fine big time.

Cam

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!