Author Topic: Clearing Obstacles: Log Rollovers.  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Carbon-Kid

• Desperately hanging on
Clearing Obstacles: Log Rollovers.
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
Mountain Biking for Newbies: Part Two.

Since I altered my setup and riding position to be more forward to gain traction, lifting the front wheel has become even harder. Add to this a problem of the rear wheel now wanting to kick me OTB's when I do log rollovers!

Now I appreciate this is easy for the experienced, but for someone who is still learning, it's actually pretty hard. Sure, I can yank on the bars and get enough height to clear a high gutter. However, almost everything I read about front wheel lifts involve weight shifting. And that has me 100% snafu'd. I just can't seem to get this weight shift thing at all.

Apart from Youtube videos, does anyone have perhaps a technique or exercise to help me correctly shift weight to achieve a front wheel lift correctly?

As I mentioned, it is easy for the experienced, but hard for a beginner. It is equally as hard to explain exactly what you  !!
My ride: Giant Trance Advanced SL0 (2012).

All my MTB videos can be found here at my Vimeo channel VarioVideoMTB.

Yes, full face helmets are hot.

Offline Oliver

Re: Clearing Obstacles: Log Rollovers.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
If the rollover is too big try to land your front wheel onto the obstacle. This will make the rear wheel transition nicely.

Riders always try to clear the front wheel but lots of times it is counter productive, if you then can't lift the rear wheel over the obstacle your rear will bash into the rollover or buck you if  you half make it.

Try to practice out on the road lifting your front wheel a 4x2 timber on the foot path is real good practise. First lift the front, then try to bunny hop it.  If you have kids you won't look like  a total clown  ;D

Just how I was taught.

Offline Davemcc

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
Riding a pump track will teach you how to weight/unweight and bike separation. Its the same basic motion for roll overs.

Offline Carbon-Kid

• Desperately hanging on
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Oliver: I can't really pop the wheel high enough to clear tall things. So I try to get some height so the wheel doesn't slam the rollover. Sadly, the only real way I can lift the wheel is to yank on the bars. And now that I am riding more forward, it seems even harder!

It's the shifting of body weight I just can't seem to figure out. I watch Videos describing how to lift the wheel, and frankly I can't see the mechanics of it. Surely it can't be that hard.
My ride: Giant Trance Advanced SL0 (2012).

All my MTB videos can be found here at my Vimeo channel VarioVideoMTB.

Yes, full face helmets are hot.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I find the best way to learn is to ride with people that are really good at it, and really try to learn from them, i suggest going to the social rides, and watching how people tackle things

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »
Agree with Andrew - much easier to ask someone what they are doing and get feedback than it is to try to follow a manual (but that may just be my way of learning)

I'd suggest not trying to manual the bike over the log and instead use a front wheel lift. you'll achieve that by pumping though the pedals
Mountain bike instruction and coaching: www.dividingrangemtb.com.au

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!