Author Topic: Track corrosion & potholling  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Davo

• Look where you want to go not where you don't!
Track corrosion & potholling
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
Before posting this I streched past my bedtime to catch up on previous posts about this topic. Some very good points made!

I have just come back from another very bumpy ride thru Lysty and cannot believe the pounding the tracks have copped since Dec!  it appears to me that some people don?t realize the amount of damage skidding the back wheel does to the track not to mention rubber! $$$
Please correct me if I am wrong with this theory.
Along with the other suggestions of signage I think signage highlighting this one would go a long way towards track preservation.

How does the committee/ Parks Vic feel about getting some signs made up with words like;

?SKIDS ARE FOR KIDS?,
?STAY IN CONTROL AVOID SKIDDING?
?IF YOU SKID YOU ARE OUT OF CONTROL?
?Preserve the track and your rubber, DONT skid?
I copied this one from another post; ?practice low-imapct riding [no skidding!],

And placing them at strategic points along the track such as corner entries.

Offline Alistair

Re: Track corrosion & potholling
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »
Do you think some tracks are worse than others for this?
I don't think we will ever stop skidding into corners, but maybe some tracks are more able to take it (e.g. blair: good vs hug: bad).

Offline Oliver

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »
With so many beginners at Lysterfield it is part of the landscape.

Also having the trails real dusty the damage is very noticable.

I think this is part of the maintenance schedule we need to have at Lysty is to clean the drains and fix up braking ruts. Not too hard to do a crew of 6 can do a couple of trails in one build session.

But education is also good idea....

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
Good points here. I would like to think that signage would help, but my guess is that there are riders that purposely skid, and signs aren't going to stop them.

I have also noticed the increase of "lazy" B lines staring to pop up again. This is so pathetic. If you are too lazy to ride the made tracks, stay out of the park. Lazy B lines are for the weak.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Davemcc

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
That's a bit harsh Tim, every second counts on strava.

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »
I don't mind the trail getting rough and rutted, but its so frustrating to see lazy B lines go in. You try and put some logs to block them, but a week later, it's back.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Davo

• Look where you want to go not where you don't!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Potholing more servere at berms bottom of Com games track, Snipe and more.
Can we get Parks Vic to drop some Lilydale toppings at each trail for us to spread?

Re: Lazy B lines. We'll dig some bigger logs in!

Offline neb

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 09:56:01 PM »
Good points here. I would like to think that signage would help, but my guess is that there are riders that purposely skid, and signs aren't going to stop them.

I have also noticed the increase of "lazy" B lines staring to pop up again. This is so pathetic. If you are too lazy to ride the made tracks, stay out of the park. Lazy B lines are for the weak.

Yeah I agree that we will always get it with newbys and riders that like to skid. BUT I DO HATE how it ruins the flow on those fast tracks!?!?!?!

As Ol said we will have to deal with it but some education would be nice, perhaps a short vid? I think skid is for kids makes sense to me but maybe some riders don't even know that skids create those massive rutts?? So we may need to really spell it out for them.

I've been "pausing" my strava laps to stop and block some of the bigger B lines when I see them, keep at it! - I think the B lines also come from people riding in groups and making an overtaking maneuver on their mates, perhaps we need to provide some overtaking lanes? Like at the Mont 24??

Another thought I had on this issue is clip pedals V Flats.... Clip pedals make you ride corners more in control, as the consequence of not means eating dirt, not just dabbing a foot down. Where as in all the vids I've seen with flat pedal riders, they go out of their way to drift etc on every corner they can. Nothing against flat pedal riders and I'm sure not all of you do it, just an observation...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:58:26 PM by neb »

Offline Oliver

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »
Braking ruts will form over time and there is not much other than amouring that will help.

In regards to clips Vs Flats and cornering I do not think this has an influence. If you look at the riders at Lysty I would say 80% or more are clipped in and we still have errosion issues.

CJT berm entries are in a poor state but this could be fixed quickly. They will come back but hey with 150K plus trips through the park I think we have to live with it.

Speaking with Ben from MT Buller they are experiencing the same issues we have due to the amount of traffic that they are now receiving.

Offline Matt

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Re the B lines, I don't build them and don't agree with all of them, but if they are not hurting anyone, does it really matter?  They provide options and you can ignore them if you choose.  Some of them speed up the trail and improve the flow too.  Just because they weren't put there by the trail builders doesn't make them all bad by default.  I don't think they are big enough to worry too much about additional erosion either.

Offline neb

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
Copperhead is stuffed ATM, rides way better at the start of the season when it's not dusty and rutted.

Matt - re lazy B lines, the main issue is waterflow and the damage the water can do, when the trail is cut waterflow is a big priority to get right, stuff it up and you end up with crap trail that really suffers in wet weather, and even when it's dry it won't drain and will stay wet.

In some areas there are 3-4 B lines emerging, once one person does it they all do it. Then we have the issue of having less sustainable ST not to mention the ascetics that may * off other park user groups and cause us grief.

B

Offline Andrew

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »
plus the other issue i have with "b lines" is athetically

It is hard to sell to PV or Greenies that MTB is low impact on the bush if there are multiple lines every where...

We need to leave as small a footprint as possible for advocates like me!

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »

Another thought I had on this issue is clip pedals V Flats.... Clip pedals make you ride corners more in control, as the consequence of not means eating dirt, not just dabbing a foot down. Where as in all the vids I've seen with flat pedal riders, they go out of their way to drift etc on every corner they can. Nothing against flat pedal riders and I'm sure not all of you do it, just an observation...

Neb sorry mate but thats an iffy observation . In the vids they do that for dramatic effect. Otherwise you could argue that all flats riders do 8ft hucks and clear 40ft gaps too!
www.ridgelinemtb.com - European Style Gravity Assisted MTB Tours - BETA testing phase - Want to come help recce some awesome trails? Just pay your way - PM me for details

Offline Oliver

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
Dont we Nick  ;D

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
another alternative to stop braking bumps is to re align the trail with more natural features and chokes that naturally slow the rider down before the corner..also re design the corners so the flow better.

There are too many corners at lysty that just appear at the end of a long straight stretch meaning that big handfuls of brake are required...fine for us but for someone new it can cause panic and skidding as they slam on the brakes.
www.ridgelinemtb.com - European Style Gravity Assisted MTB Tours - BETA testing phase - Want to come help recce some awesome trails? Just pay your way - PM me for details

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!