Author Topic: bushwalkers and joggers on trails  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
Re: bushwalkers and joggers on trails
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 09:10:36 PM »
We rode past a few walkers on Hug last week, and we mentioned 'nicely' that they shouldnt be on the MTB trails, and they gave Doversby a serve. Very unpleasent. Time to get a MTB equipped bull bar.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline MurcyMTB

• _\|-In GRIFF we Trust-|/_
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 09:06:10 AM »
argh. idiots.

Offline Duane

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »
They don't bother me, I just yell out quite loudly "look out" if they haven't moved off the track, as politely as I can. I don't hang around long enough to engage in conversation. If they complain to Parks Vic, I don't know what Parks response is. Will Parks tell them that they shouldn't be there or will it cause problems for us? I don't really care if they walk there as long as the realise that they are firstly and primarily mountain bike trails and pedestrians need to give way when bikes come through. Kids and strollers are a little more concerning though.
I prefer everyone finds a way to enjoy the park harmoniously and not cause angst by banning this and that.
I get more annoyed at overhearing the skin tight lycra strava heroes complaining about being "held up" by "rec" riders.

Offline alf

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »
I kind of agree with Duane.

Did not appreciate a young couple walking their newborn in a stroller up blair witch a while ago and asked a chap to get his expensive looking camera complete with tripod off the middle of the track on Aneurysm once.

Apart from that, i'm usually out to enjoy the ride not get worked up.

Offline MurcyMTB

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
Sounds like you haven't been caught on some of the faster trails with walkers in the way yet? I almost mowed down a family of walkers on DogPound descent one 'evening' at dusk on the blind corner - about the same place where Wayne came off because of walkers i think. The park is big enough with enough trails for walkers to stick to and vice versa.

keep in mind - LDTR and PV make it very clear  that we are not supposed to ride on the walking tracks and most riders are respectful of this - someone will get seriously hurt at some stage and i guarantee it will be a rider trying not to hurt a walker.

there's enough obstacles with trees, roots, rocks, kangaroos and other riders without throwing absent minded walkers in the mix as well who are oblivious to what's coming down the trail.

if anyone thinks the trails aren't signed well enough for this let us know.

M

Offline cam229

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
A couple of weeks back on a Wednesday night (goat spotting night i think), i was "surprised" by a couple of trail joggers running up the CGT just before the start of the bermed descent, scared the living be'jeebers out of me. I had both lights on high, all they had were those little LED lights on their cap brims.

I have also had walkers on Blair Witch tell me to slow down 'cause they are on the trail. I told them in no uncertain tones that the trail they were on was designated as a MTB trail, not a walking trail, and that we (MTB'ers) don't ride on the trails designated as walking trails, to which I got an unsavory response from the walkers.

It is frustrating, and I agree with the others that it will be one of the cyclists who get injured trying to get out of the way of the walkers, but putting bigger sign posts at the entry points of the trails will not work, as quite a few of the walkers "bush-bash" from the fire trails onto the bike trails.

Offline MurcyMTB

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 11:09:15 AM »

It is frustrating, and I agree with the others that it will be one of the cyclists who get injured trying to get out of the way of the walkers, but putting bigger sign posts at the entry points of the trails will not work, as quite a few of the walkers "bush-bash" from the fire trails onto the bike trails.

so i think we better train Griff to attack... :)

Offline Duane

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »
A lot of other local areas are "shared paths" so it's no surprise the walkers are ignorant or deliberately choosing to be. I don't know what the best solution is but I do think that keeping Parks Vic and the general public on side is better than the "these are mtb trails, walkers f#@k off" approach. Perhaps better signage including warnings of the imminent danger of recklessly walking along dedicated bike trails. If we educate and warn then they choose to ignore and argue....then let Murcy loose with his bikebar.

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
It will most likely be a PV problem soon, when a MTBer plows into a walker and legal action knocks on the door.

I agree that our signage can be improved to warn of the dangers on walking on the MTB trails. Maybe this is something PV can assist in.

We know that 'Trail closed' signs dont deter some MTBers from using the trails, so 'No walkers' won't deter some people walking there too.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Scriv

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »
Signage is really the only way, maybe near the main entry's like horswood carpark on the entry to the fire trails with a stern warning of what can happen @20-30 kmh.
Cheers

David

Offline alf

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »
Sounds like you haven't been caught on some of the faster trails with walkers in the way yet? I almost mowed down a family of walkers on DogPound descent one 'evening' at dusk on the blind corner - about the same place where Wayne came off because of walkers i think. The park is big enough with enough trails for walkers to stick to and vice versa.

Actually my closest shave so far has been climbing dog pound and coming very close to a head on with a rider descending, barely in control, around one of the blind corners.

I think that sharing trails and riding in ways that can endanger oneself and other trail users are two separate issues.

The chap that I had the near miss with spent a fair amount of emotion telling me off about riding the wrong way on what is a two way trail so there was little point in trying to explain that he was mistaken on that count, or that the IMBA rules of the trail dictate that climbers should be given right of way.

Having said that I certainly think that signs at every single track intersection with fire trails and walking trails should be in place.

Regardless of whether someone should or should not be walking / running in a certain spot I do think we all have an obligation of some sort to avoid injuring anyone, two wrongs don't make a right.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
The issue of one way trails has been brought up at the Working Group. The spot on Dog Pound was mentioned as a specific area of concern, but PV reported no serious incidents yet and they dont record "near misses". Its likely that we will put in up and down seperate trails in there at some point in the not so distant future, but we're trying to work it into a larger strategy as resources are limited and need to be prioritised.

Regarding the walkers, I think everyone has a duty of care to ride in control, but that said my understanding is that walkers and riders are separated where possible for good reason. Shared walker and bike paths do exist in other parks, but have to be designed as so with wider trails, good line of sight etc (which lysty's generally haven't). The growing popularity of "trail running" has also somewhat complicated the issue and will probably need to be addressed with more signage as others have mentioned. Theres plenty of room for everyone, it just needs to be managed.

Offline MurcyMTB

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
there's some very valid points here. I'll have a look at designing some signs, i think it should quite simply state that this trail is a designated MTB trail and walkers/runners enter this trail at their own risk.

or

keep it simple like 'Buckle Trail' is a Mountain Bike specific singletrail. Please refer to the main information sign for a map of walking / jogging trails blah blah blah.

or

keep off MTB trails or we'll set the goat on ya. sick em Griff.

Alf, i guess the one thing about us using the trails in either direction is the mere fact we know what to expect and actually anticipate that there are other riders on the trail that could appear at any moment. Walkers that are using the MTB trails either don't care or don't know.

By the way - Barely In Control is a recognised riding style.

Offline neb

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
Keep it simple and just use the walker with a red X just like on the walking trails that have a bike with a red X. I've not had many of these issues with walkers, plenty of heros that think climbers should give way to the DH rider though...

Offline Oliver

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
The problem is that we have no moral high ground on this topic.

More than a plenty of MTB riders  who cannot read signs as well. Lets take our closed trail sign for example plenty of riders just ignor them. Also plenty of riders on Tram line trake etc.

No matter what signs we put there is always a small percentage of people who just ignor it....

We should try to educate with why they should stay off the trails with a graphic picture or two of a collision between rider and walker.....

With griff standing over the top having a chuckle  8)

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!