Author Topic: bushwalkers and joggers on trails  (Read 9939 times)

Offline Baldydave

Re: bushwalkers and joggers on trails
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Its a tricky one and you all have valid points, Safety is our main focus to everyone concerned'

Maybe a Etiquette signage(working with PV) of what is required to all concerned on Fire Trails, Walking Trails and Mtb trails at the main entrance of the parks eg, Horswood car park,Skills Park,Dam wall and Hallam North Rd. You will still get the odd rogue no matter what. Legal action to some concerned could be just around the corner so more signage is required.

I have encountered only a couple joggers running up Hug, more concerning is the Lycra lads going fast as they can with no consideration to slow down or even a nod for giving him room to pass to avoid a head-on on the single trails, Sad to see the ignorance and arrogance! But most bikers i have encountered have been pretty good.

Offline MurcyMTB

• _\|-In GRIFF we Trust-|/_
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
Its a tricky one and you all have valid points, Safety is our main focus to everyone concerned'

Maybe a Etiquette signage(working with PV) of what is required to all concerned on Fire Trails, Walking Trails and Mtb trails at the main entrance of the parks eg, Horswood car park,Skills Park,Dam wall and Hallam North Rd. You will still get the odd rogue no matter what. Legal action to some concerned could be just around the corner so more signage is required.

I have encountered only a couple joggers running up Hug, more concerning is the Lycra lads going fast as they can with no consideration to slow down or even a nod for giving him room to pass to avoid a head-on on the single trails, Sad to see the ignorance and arrogance! But most bikers i have encountered have been pretty good.

yeah as with everything there's always the rotten eggs and we can only do so much.

i too hate giving way to a rider and receive no acknowledgement - drives me mad - am i asking too much?

to quote the Reverend George Costanza -

"I just can't believe the way people are. What is it with humanity? What kind of a world do we live in?" - "You know we're living in a society; we're supposed to act in a civilized way!" (and for the lycra lads)> "And look at his little outfit. It's all so coordinated, the little socks matching the shirt. I really hate this guy." - George

it will be an ongoing battle and for one, if i have to pass a jogger with my elbow at head height, so be it.

anyway - i think with the new maps etc we'll highlight the trails and add safety warnings in the legend.

M

Offline Paul

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »
As someone who currently runs at Lysty more than rides, I hear the same argument from other trail runners all the time: "But they ride on _our_ trails".

The difference is a MTBer on a non-dedicated MTB trail is generally being careful and will give way to pedestrians. A runner on a MTB trail, on the other hand, simply can't be careful enough to notice a quiet MTBer flying around a corner and slamming into them at 35km/h... And the "But they ride on _our_ trails" argument will be of little comfort when they're in hospital with broken ribs, a handle-bar wedged up their butt-hole and a MTBer suing them to cover their bills!

Once I explain that, most runners seem to get it.

I will, however, admit to still running the MTB trails! I'll not touch them until an hour after sunset and I'll be off before sunrise. For the _very_ odd MTBer I see out there at that time (it's very very rare) we can see and hear each other a mile away because we've both got bright lights on and it's quiet. What can I say - they're awesome trails whether on foot or wheels...

Personally I think a "No Walkers" sign with black skull and cross-bones should be up at every entrance/exit to a MTB trail and then the odd sign explaining that they're seriously endangering themselves and other people by walking/running on the MTB trails.

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 07:36:37 AM »
Good thoughts Paul. I'm not a trail runner myself, but I get the attraction to running on single track rather than fire trails. And I'm happy that you've seen the purpose of this discussion, to prevent a serious accident out there. I really don't mind walkers/runners using the single track, as long as they are aware that the trails are MTB specific and they MUST yield to MTB riders and be very alert.

I reckon your suggestion for signs is a must. Maybe that's something PV can assist with.

Tim
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!