Author Topic: Bright 24hr - 2015  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
Re: Bright 24hr - 2015
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
Ok. Now that VES is over, back to organizing our trip to the Bright 24 in November.

Be awesome to have a couple of LDTR teams there.

Let us know if you are keen to join a team of 4.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline alf

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »
I'm in.

Offline Tennismark

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 03:46:56 PM »
We've got one team (of 4) booked and paid. Anyone else booked in, or planning to?

Its gonna be a fun weekend of riding and camping. We'll have a couple of marquees to create an LDTR hub.

Tim

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »
Anyone heading to the Bright 24 this weekend??

Look out for the yellow LDTR marquee.

We'll be getting up there Friday afternoon and we're camping in the main race camping area.

Tim

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 11:19:25 PM »
What a weekend. What an awesome place to have an MTB race. What a great bunch of guys to go riding with.

After getting away a bit late on friday afternoon, and battling Melbourne traffic, we were on the Hume Hwy heading north towards Bright. As we crested the big hill just east of Glenrowen, you get the first glimpse of the Alpine national park - our destination.

A little over 4 hours drive and we arrive at the Pioneer park in Bright, home of the Thule Bright 24 race. The numbers are surprisingly low, but guessing that most people will arrive on Saturday morning, take advantage of setting up the tents and LDTR marquee, right on the transition line. Thanks to Duncan the Kiwi, we had a small tent city fit for MTB kings. But it was time for dinner, so we set off for the Bright Brewery for a special B24 beer & pizza deal.

Back at the camp site, we broke out the camp chairs and told MTB stories until it was decided we'd better get some sleep.

Saturday morning. Race day. Not too much sleep (a mix of nerves, excitement and some heavy snoring) but completely amped for the next 30 odd hours. After the best Egg & Bacon wraps you could ask for, cooked by hand by Daz, we checked to the race and got our race plates and event T-shirt. Time for a casual ride back into town for a coffee, and we adopted a Solo rider who drove down from Brisbane for the B24. Mario was just gonna set up out of his car, but we inviting him to share out tent city.

11am Saturday morning - Race briefing. 11:25am, race briefing actually begins.

12:05pm - The Thule Bright 24 hour begins. First the traditional 24 hour riders, of which we were a team of 4.

By now the temp had come up to about 25 degrees. Almost ideal conditions for racing in the hills. The course was incredible. A great first 5 kms of single track, with some really fun decorations in the forest keeping you entertained, as well as some random speakers bumping out some tunes, in the middle of the forest. very cook.

At the 5km mark, came the fire road climb. Not a hard climb, but a long climb - about 3kms all up. During the daylight hours, its a dry hot dusty trail, without any breeze at all. But little did you know, that some amazing descents awaited you at the 8km mark.

At the end of the fire road climb, you are send down 2kms of some NZ looking - Pine forest descents that make you completely forget about the climb you just suffered. The only bit of track that i remember the name of was 'The Slider'. A mini Buxton descent section that definitely warrants a few woohoo's at the end.

After the descent, you make your way through another 7kms of single track, along the river edge, slightly into the township of Bright, then back through Pioneer park and transition zone. 17kms of awesomeness.

We anticipated 1 1/2 hour lap times, but to our surprise we are lapping between 1h 4m's to 1h 20m's.

Alf lead out our team, with me second, Daz third and Duncan forth. Based on our expected lap times, Dunc figured he wouldn't get in his first ride till 4:30pm, and decided to join me for my first lap (without going through transition). This later proofed to be not such a great idea, as every lap really took a lot of energy. Good on him though, he kept going out on his laps.

As the afternoon went on, Team LDTR Funk Town was comfortably in 5th place in the mens 4 x team. There were only 5 mens 4 x teams, but coming 5th sounds a lot better than 'last'. The were 70 odd demo bikes available to take out on course, so i decided to give a Giant trance a go. A great ride, bit in a race situation, theres nothing like your own bike. Even though we are never a chance at getting a podium, we still put in the best laps times we could, and we were smooth with out transitions.

Back at the LDTR tent city, we were well fed thanks to Daz pre-cooking a killer spag-bol, the perfect food for after a hard lap. But after a couple of helpings, the spag-bol got a bit old, so the boys hit the food truck for some Pulled Pork rolls.

As the sun set, the temp really dropped, but not enough to deter us from getting more laps in. We had determined to keep going through the night, just incase one or two of the other mens teams opted not to ride, giving us a chance at moving up the leader board. Out on course, the crew at B24 had some special surprises for us. Firstly the trail fairy forest -  a 1km section of single track with glow in the dark stuff, glittery cut outs, some tunes, and trail fairy dust. a nice surprise at 11:30pm. But the highlight of the night laps, was the TDF style hill topping crowd at the 10km mark. Straight from a scene from Apocalypse Now, you emerge from the pines into a section of rope lights, air horns, super heros and pumping tunes. Theres a small climb out of the that section, and the super heros were giving free pushes up the hill, in true TDF style. if you were getting sleepy, this definitely woke you up. It gave you a good laugh.

The night went on, and getting up for the 1:30am, 3am and 4:30am rides required some deep digging. The temp had to be about 6 or 7 degrees, but thanks to our egos, we got out of our sleeping bags, but on the wet helmet and gloves, and waiting nervously at the transition zone for the team member to come in. When Alf rode in at 4:24am, he still had a big smile on his face. Thats what this race did. The track was so fun, and the atmosphere of the event make doing these cold night laps fun. The 3km fire road climb was a lonely place at night, but knowing the NZ style descents were just ahead, gave you the drive to keep going.

I think i got the best lap to go out on. The sound of a 4:30am lap isn't good, but with the faint silhouette of the mountains from the very early light of the sun, this lap proofed to be magical. I needed my lights for the first half, but as i hit the first descents after the big fire road climb, the sunlight was just enough to enjoy the trails on natural light. whats better than doing a lap as the sun is coming up?

As the morning went on, we kept the laps going until none of us had the legs to get another lap in. In all, we totalled 18 laps for our team. Someone told us that although we finished 4th in the mens 4 x teams, we were the only over 40 team, and technically come 1st in the that category.

We'd done it. We'd finished a 24 hour MTB race. wow if felt good. We are all stuff, but you couldn't wipe the smiles of our faces. The race aside, we had an awesome weekend away, riding with great mates, in a great event. We all promised to return the to B24 in 2016.

Tim

Offline Travis22

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 01:01:58 AM »
Anasing write up Tim. Really enjoyed the read!

Travis.

Offline mrgibbo

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »
Great race report Tim.

Makes me want to join you guys next year.

Offline lard

• -=> Dave <=-
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 09:34:14 PM »
Awesome writeup Tim,  disappointed I missed it!   next year!

Offline Baldydave

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »
Excellent report card on Thule 24hr Bright Tim, just a little envy i wasn't part of it lol, but In saying that would be great to have more than a few teams next year representing LDTR...definitely give it a crack in 16...

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
Now I want a pulled pork roll...
LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!