Author Topic: Ground level input in planning for Lystie.  (Read 830 times)

Offline CKaos

Ground level input in planning for Lystie.
« on: November 03, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »
It was with interest that I reviewed the PV web page relating to the current trail closures at Lysterfield.  I think it should make me excited.

I no doubt that it would be very risky for PV to sanction events within the Park without an embedded process to ensure that the facility complies with 'a standard'.  I also have no doubt that funding for the park is closely linked to the volume of 'tangible' public use that occurs within the park.  More formal activities = a more viable park.  So, I have no real cause to doubt the reasoning for the current trail works provided by PV within Alf's link. Ie - to ensure the trails comply with IMBA standards.

The Comm Games Track  (CGT) was originally built as an 'all weather' competition track - so as it stands today, it doesn't meet that functional specification.  Do PV plan to provide a portion of trail that is 'weather proof' so that they can more easily close other sections of trail as conditions dictate (they can do that now regardless).

I assume that one of the local PV KPI's is to maintain safe mountain bike trails that remain open for public access and events.  Would the % of single track open on any given day be factored in here?

If we find ourselves in a situation where the CGT and a few access trails are the only trails that remain open in 'adverse conditions', the type of event that Lysterfield could support would be limited (eg. enduro & multi sport events would be difficult).  Also, I'm not sure that the majority of recreational riders would find lapping the CGT 'enjoyable'.

What level of input do user groups have in the consultative process that should be helping to shape strategic plans for the ongoing maintenance and improvement of PUBLICLY OWNED facilities?  Is it a submission once a decade, or ongoing collaboration structured to promote a dynamic response to the evolving needs of those users?   

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
Re: Ground level input in planning for Lystie.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »
Hey Craig,
Alf's link is in relation to some upgrades to those trails which will be undertaken before the end of the year.  (More updates to come soon).
This will be done by a professional trail building company who have a large amount of experience with trail building standards.
LDTR have supplied a large portion of the funding for this, using both the monies raised from the past two VES races. The club have been in talks with Parks Vic for a few years now in relation to these trail upgrades and have been through a lot of consultation to make sure the trails are at the highest standard.   

The amount of single track closures at Lysterfield Park are normally less than a couple of weeks a year. The closures due to storm damage from the past few weeks was more than usual and thus Parks Vic have gone through the correct procedure to make sure they tackle the issues in a safe and formal way. Although it has taken some time, they are working as hard as they can under the circumstances.

The current strategic plan for the maintenace of the trails is through a document supplied by a trail build company which we are working through.
The document is our first priority in how we maintain the trails. However, we are always happy to recieve feedback on the trails (not the just the negative) as we do take on board.
In the future, i wouldn't mind setting up a plan to consult all stakeholders in the park in regards to the needs and wants for trail maintenance.
Hope this answers some of your queries. If you have any others, let me know.

Cheers,
Nate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline CKaos

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »
So, in short, the current round of renovations has been guided by and largely funded by users - rather than PV?

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »
Bit of both i believe. Money being used from us is largely from the VES/LDTR as we promised to use this money for these renovations. Parks Vic have contributed also to help other tracks hopefully more sustainable in the long term. Such as Snipe and Trailmix.
Not sure exact amount of $$$ provided by both groups.

Hopefully these improvements work out to be awesome :)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:22:17 PM by Nate »

Offline alf

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »
Such as Snipe

This reminds me of the saying be careful of what you wish for.
I have been wanting a berm on the first right hander on Snipe for ever, but now that I have seen what Trail Scapes have done, I'm not so sure any more.

Some one yesterday passed a comment about what would Nuts (Tony) say if he saw how it has been sanitized.

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
Such as Snipe

This reminds me of the saying be careful of what you wish for.
I have been wanting a berm on the first right hander on Snipe for ever, but now that I have seen what Trail Scapes have done, I'm not so sure any more.

Some one yesterday passed a comment about what would Nuts (Tony) say if he saw how it has been sanitized.

They are working on it again today, so that may have just been the "base layer" or non decorated part of the cake which you saw.... :P
Hope it turns out good :/

Offline CKaos

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 03:33:02 PM »
So if I check out Snipe tonight that should be a sign of things to come?  Or has the sensitive nature of the Snipe environment dictated compromise in this case?  I hope some one addresses the drainage from the car park and management tracks above the track - otherwise we may have a Melbourne weather outcome.  If you don't like it don't worry, it'll change in 30 min!

Wasn't that a quote from Ned Kelly - "such is snipe"????

Offline CKaos

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »
I can't load images to a PM, so may as well post here for all. The attached images show an underlying drainage problem that will undermine any work done on Snipe.  The car park takes the water from the 2 management trails above Snipe out of the park for a minute, and then sends it straight back down onto the track.  You can see by the pile of sand and gravel that he water leaves as it hits the vegetation that it is coming down here with high force and high volume.  Hardly fits in with 'conservation of a sensitive area'.

Who can fix this? It's not in the park.

I have other images in HD, but can't attach any more than 350kB here.

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up Craig.  We'll get in contact with Parks Vic and also have a detailed look ourselves soon. The pictures and annotations help with what you were trying to explain.
Looks like you went to a lot of effort to get that first pic (drone shot?).

Cheers,
Nate.

Offline CKaos

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:49:36 PM »
No, I have a 12 m telescopic extension stick & wi-fi controlled camera that I use at work.  It takes a minute or so to set up, but a picture tells a thousand words.

Faster to set up than a drone, and you never need an aviation permit, doesn't mean I'm not nurturing the 'drone seed' at work ;)

Offline neb

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:15:37 PM »
Hi Craig, those pictures are much better thanks. I've passed on to Trailscapes to check out.

Ben

Offline CKaos

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
Further picture(s). This drain is in the southern corner of the car park and has been 'islanded' by erosion.  I don't think this causes any problems for Snipe as the water will run past the track down a natural gully.  However, I assume this was installed to prevent all the water that is meant to run off the management tracks, then across the car park continuing on through the 'sensitive area'.  Because of the silted over spoon drain on the western (high) side of the car park, most of the water has already run down over Snipe and not much gets this far anyway.

Offline CKaos

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »
One more showing the cause.

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!