Author Topic: newbie advice  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Payno

newbie advice
« on: November 22, 2016, 01:52:22 PM »
Hi There,
First time on here - just joined.
I am a novice - bought a mountain bike earlier this year after rediscovering riding (after about 30 years!) - I have been going to Lysterfield off and on over a few months and loving it. However, I realise that Im not that good - and this really came home to me when I came off recently and hit the ground pretty hard. I stupidly assumed hitting dirt wouldn't hurt as much as the road.....Wrong!
Anyway, getting over my injuries now and want to get back into it but a little more cautious now and thinking that some lessons/skills training to find out what Im doing wrong would be a good start. Not going to let my fall put me off at all - but thinking some skills training would provide me with greater confidence as I hit the trails again. Anyone know where I get started?
Any advice or help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Chris

Online Nate

• LDTR Committee
Re: newbie advice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »
If you don't want to pay anything, youtube channels such as GMBN and Seth's Bike Hacks are a great resource for online stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline Stitch

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »
See if you can track down the following DVD:
'Fundamentals. The Mountain Bike Technique Video' by Dirt Magazine' - lot of great tips and techniques from some MTB legends

Copies can be found on ebay for $5 (well, last time I looked).

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
Hi Chris, before you follow Nates advice, check out his vids below his post.

In the mean time, i cant go into details yet, but in the new year LDTR will be offering skills sessions at Lysty.

Stay tuned.

Tim
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline CKaos

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
Hey Chris,

The best of them hit the dirt occasionally.  As you improve your stacks become infrequent, but more spectacular - or sometimes just plain dumb because you aren't switched on.  Normally they are limited to superficial damage, and they tell me chicks dig scars!!  Scars are cool, cars are cruel!  Stay off the road is my advice.

There is a beautiful space between being too cautious and pushing too hard that you could call 'sweet riding'.  Tim's suggestion sounds like the best thing to help you improve quickly.  In the mean time, if you seek out a bit of the online stuff mentioned and concentrate on working on one thing at a time, in no time you will be experiencing 'sweet riding'.

Then you can happily progress to - 'If you're not falling off, you're not trying hard enough'.

Hope to see you out there - but not 'hitting the trails' ;) Craig

Online Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 04:15:09 PM »

Hi Chris, before you follow Nates advice, check out his vids below his post.

Everyone can learn how to do things correctly eventually, it takes pure skill and talent to know how to do it wrong in a spectacular fashion.

LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »
You are right Nate. You've got crashing down to a fine art.

Offline Plankosaurus

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
Turns out I'm not half bad at stacking either, twice in a Tuesday social has to be up there :-P

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
I'm not sure we are making Chris feel good about getting back into mtbing. Sorry Chris.

Offline Plankosaurus

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:40:02 PM »
You just need nate's video of me laughing at myself after the second one to help Chris realise that it's all in good fun ;-)

It's been a solid year and a half I think since my last off, it doesn't happen all the time and it usually happens when you're playing silly buggers. Or trying to hit wet logs and roots, they always get me :-P

Offline Shaneo83

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »

Offline Trent_heffer

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »
Don't underestimate the value of some decent knee and elbow pads either!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
  • Does the word 'shred' mean anything to you?
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »
Hi Chris,
You are right, a skills session will help enormously. Better to get the right habits from the beginning. I am currently relearning my braking technique after an eye-opening session with an instructor. It's not easy to change 10+ years of bad habits! So yes, go get coaching.  It is truly one of the best investments in your riding that you can make. Skills learnt will outlast all equipment!!

There are a few decent coaches in Victoria. The best coach I had was in Canada so not much help for you unfortunately... Top level PMBI accredited and it really showed to me.

Jenni King (pedallab.com) and Ben Watkins (alpine gravity) both do coaching in Melbourne. They are completely different styles of riders, and different styles of coaching; both well regarded.

You can have group sessions, I've only done private sessions however. Found it to be very good value.

Hope that helps.

Offline Payno

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 10:01:57 PM »
Hey all
Thanks heaps for all your replies - didn't expect to find such a friendly bunch of people, very cool  :D
seems like there's quite a community going on here - and here I was thinking all the riders I see at Lysty are all random strangers!
Thanks Nate - I've started to look at some clips on YouTube and already can see my technique needs some work so that's a good start, said me of those vids under your post are awesome stacks! - make mine seem mild. although I did get the nickname "Bingle Man" on the ski slopes so maybe I might live up to that!
Thanks Tim for the heads up about skills training in the New Year - I'd certainly be up for that, in the meantime I might sign up for an individual lesson as that's all I've found so far - someone offered at $75 an hour which seems ok ( cheaper than a ski instructor!) but I'll also check out the people you mentioned Hels Bels
I certainly want to hit the trails again and not be too cautious so I reach that 'sweet riding' spot Craig.
Thanks for the offer Shane (?) - I'd love to find people to ride with as I don't know any other riders, I'm usually just goin solo with headphones on (although I killed them in my fall too dammit!!)
I'd be interested in doin some social rides ( not ready  for any competition yet) - or other things, what do I do - join up and come to a meeting or something? 
oh by the way - what's the deal with these verification questions? no * idea what the question even is let alone answering it!  :D

Offline Shaneo83

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!