Author Topic: New to Lysterfield and wondering how to get there without a car  (Read 448 times)

Offline dahoal

Hi all!

I've moved from Germany to Melbourne in November last year for my PhD and shipped my bike a few months ago. I had a couple of things to repair but now it's ready to shred some trails. I've been to Lysterfield once with a friend by car but he does not often have time on the weekends so I am looking for a way to get to Lysterfield without a car from Gardenvale/Elsternwick. I'd appreciate if anyone has a suggestion :) Right know I am thinking of taking the train to Dandenong and then ??
Back in Germany I used to ride my bike (an enduro from the German manufacture Nicolai) every weekend and would like to do this here as well from now on. I don't race, I rather enjoy the nature and a nice trip with some nice people who like to talk about bikes and riding techniques (which I really need to work on as I haven't cycled for a longer time now).
I am planning to go to Lysterfield this Sunday (depending on your suggestions on how to get there haha). I'd be happy to hear if anyone is around and could show me some exciting trails.

Thanks and cheers,
David

Offline alf

Re: New to Lysterfield and wondering how to get there without a car
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
Welcome to Melbourne David.

The closest single track to Elsternwick is not Lysterfield unfortunately.

Unless I am mistaken Yarra Trails will be much easier to get to (approx 10Km).

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/-37.8842536,145.0006411/-37.810922,145.009845/@-37.8440761,144.9904126,14z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

There are a number of regular riders on some of our social rides who live close to you, however it would be up to them to introduce themselves and offer you a lift if they choose to.

Offline Zoe

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »
Hi David,

You could try catching the train to Hallam, then it is a straight line to the park - mind you will have to ride on the road for about 7k.

Map here: https://goo.gl/R9P3gU

Yarra Trails are nice too :)

Zoe

Offline Andrew

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »
Or its a 3min ride from Tecoma to birdsland... (its just 20 to get back)

Offline dahoal

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the response!
I think I'll stick with the option to go from Hallam train station as I can take the train from Caulfield which is kind of close by.
Hopefully seeing someone around on Sunday!

Offline CKaos

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10:52:23 PM »
Be happy to go for a spin and help you get acquainted with Lystie sometime. For me, this forum has its limitations in regards to 'short notice' meet ups etc. To be honest, I wait to see what the weather does.  Lystie is best ridden after a few dry days, if it rains I head elsewhere to ride over the weekend - to places where you really need a car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!