Author Topic: Repairs  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Chris Pase

Re: Repairs
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »
As a member of a year and a half who has never helped out at a trail build day my 2 cents might not be that important, but I just wanted to say I have loved the recent additions/upgrades/new trails (if you count aneurysm and follow me as new). Yes those rollers at the end of aneurysm slow it down, but if you wanted the quickest way down take the fire road. They've made me improve my jumping and manualling technique which can only be a good thing.
The park has come a long way since I first rode there in 2006, and while I don't think there is anything really techy and would crave something more challenging, there is now a wider range of trails for all skill levels. I used to do laps and laps of the SMBC when I fancied myself as an xc racer and barely see another rider, and since the remodelling of the descent there is now far more traffic on there challenging themselves on the new features-testament to the good work done. Took me a few runs to have the confidence to hit everything,and its so much more fun now than it was in years gone by. I understand that not everyone agrees with the features added in but a lot of the complaints seem to be from people who don't have the confidence to hit jumps or carry speed through features.  Mountain biking is supposed to be tough, take the time to work on your riding and these features, black trails are designed to test you.
If Lysterfield was the same as it was a decade ago I probably wouldn't be out there.

Thanks guys for all your work, and when i finally get a real job and stop working weekends I'll have to put my name down to come along to a build. Looking forward to the golden goat this week!

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
Thanks to all the volunteers that give up their own ride time to be at the monthly trail builds.

While it is tragic that riders have accidents and hurt themselves (in some cases, quite badly), I am starting to get quite frustrated with people taking to social media to sledge the VOLUNTEER trail builders. Seems like we all need someone to blame. Yet, I never hear trail builders complain when they have a crash.

Speaking from experience, i too had an off last year on the trails. Saw me off the bike for 5 weeks, and forking out some coin on medical expenses (would rather have spent that money on the bike), but I didn't look for someone to blame. This is a dangerous sport. I choice accept the dangers every time I get on the bike. Taking to Social media and sledging the Park, the club or the trail builders just isn't on.

Its time to take some personal responsibility. The (official) trails at Lysty are all in accordance with International practices. The trails are clearly marked with their ratings.

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely feel really bad every time i hear of a rider hurting themselves, and I wish them a speedy recovery. Having to spend time off the bike is the worst. But enough is enough. The sledging has to stop.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline CKaos

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »
Hi Tim,

I don't disagree with you in principal.  Get in and help out on an authorised trail build to be heard at the time a feature is planned and developed, or STFU and ride it (or not - your choice).

However..........I know that comments I have made in the past have been miss interpreted as 'bagging out on the trail builders' when in fact, that was never my intention.  True, if I squinted my eyes I could twist it into a criticism, so, you could argue it could have been worded more clearly.  But because most interpreted those words as they were intended and 'few' found criticism in them it shows that some have developed quite a thin skin in relation to such matters. 

Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water if you choose to simply dismiss the comments of some park users as 'sledging'.  After all, LDTR is a trail advocacy group, 'sledgers' are trail users also - they are entitled to a voice.  Does the governing legislation say only listen to park users that give us good news, those that are associated with a club or that deliver their views in a formal submission?

Remember, it takes greater strength, and commitment to a cause, to deliver bad news (ie 'you have Stans on the front of your shorts' or 'your * looks big in that Lycra') than it does to pee on someones back and tell them its only rain!!

Regardless of how stupid some of the comments made in relation to the trails appear, I know that the LDTR trail building group take them on board and try to shape things to suit as many users as possible. In my experience they take their role very seriously and put a lot more thought into the layout and flow of our trails in one build than many 'sledgers' do in a lifetime.  In no way should they have to defend their actions, that's not fair. The fact is that you can't please all the people all of the time.

Still, input is input.  Take it in context and move on.

CK

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 07:10:09 PM »
My comments werent focused at anyones comments here on the forum. I read some stuff on FB last night where people were calling us morons and brainless. Thats sledging, not constructive.

I do apologize  if my comments seemed harsh. I should have known better than to read comments on Facebook.

Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Olly

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »
I want to weigh in on the gap jump discussion. If they are what I think they are someone created a new one on Middle at the recent working bee. This is a blue trail and I had no idea it had a gap in it. So as a medium skilled rider (at best) I went up what I had assumed was a table top and my wheel went into the gap and I went over the handlebars for the first time in my relatively short mountain bike riding life.

Now I don't want to sound ungrateful as there were people out there working hard to try to improve the trails (as I was myself on the previous working bee) but those sort of trail design decisions should be left to the working bee leader on the day. I humbly suggest that be part of the briefing on the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »

someone created a new one on Middle at the recent working bee. This is a blue trail and I had no idea it had a gap in it.

If you're talking about the one in the middle of all the berms, i was there helping build it. We raised the lip by about 100-150mm at max, rebuilt the ramp as it was no longer 5:1 ratio and raised the landing a little due to it being compacted down a lot and becoming s flat landing. From memory we rebuilt it to how it was when it was first built. But yeah, i might fill in the downside of the ramp over the rocks so thst wheels can roll through and it becomes less "gappy".

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline Olly

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 08:14:38 AM »
I don't think I'm talking about that one. This was like a two hump camel with maybe a metre at most between the humps. They were two close and I didn't have the skills to jump them nor any forewarning the gaps was there. So at speed my front wheel went into the gap and I flipped over the handlebars. Lucky there were no rocks or roots where I landed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CKaos

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 09:09:28 AM »
Hi Olly,

Where exactly?  I have ridden middle a few times (in both directions) since the build on Saturday and the only jumps I noticed that require some level of commitment are the ones at the start of each of the bottom berms, particularly the one Nate mentioned. Does it have a 'B' line around it?

CK

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
Heading out there today to have a look and fix this up. Had a heads up from another rider also.

Cheers.

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
"Gap" jump filled in to be rollable. Will add pipe for drainage at later point in time. Should help save a few on Sunday :)

Offline Travis22

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 09:56:20 PM »

Would having small warning signs (which ive seen used on many other mtb trails (not in Lysty)) before such features allow for greater difficulty features to remain?

Travis.

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »

Would having small warning signs (which ive seen used on many other mtb trails (not in Lysty)) before such features allow for greater difficulty features to remain?

Travis.
Would definitely help. Temporary signs (such as a wooden stake with a corflute sign) wouldn't be the solution though as they also pose a risk and are too temporary  (which is why we don't use any at the moment). We've been working on updating all our signage around the park, once this comes to fruition we will also hopefully be implementing warning signage for features as well that are complimentary to the other signage we need to update.

Offline Olly

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
Nate thanks for filling the gap in I didn't think it was right that it was on Middle. Signs for trail features requiring higher levels of skills would be a great idea particularly if you can't really see them up ahead or if they are new!

Offline Olly

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »
Oh and I'm happy to help with the signs etc

Offline Cranker

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
Hi Nate

Since you're taking requests for trail repairing. Can you do another one for me? There's a tree stump about waist height on the right at the start of Bermacide (AKA Buckle Down). I need it removed ASAP, coz I keep clipping my wide-* bars on it when I'm leaning my bike over to ROOST that corner?
Or if you can't due to your busy schedules or having a life even! Can you put some reflectors on the stump so I can spot it, especially when I am travelling at such great speed!
When I go, I want to go peacefully like my grandpa!.......not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car!

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!