Author Topic: Berms and No Berms  (Read 700 times)

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
Berms and No Berms
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
Interesting read on pinkbike: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ban-the-berms-opinion.html

A topic too familiar with riders at Lysty asking for the off camber right corner after the 3 rock drops at the old start of Aneurysm to become bermed.
LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline alf

Re: Berms and No Berms
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
I used to think we should have a berm there.

I was wrong, I still cannot hold as much speed as I like through that section but I am enjoying the challenge.

Offline CKaos

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
Besides, it doesn't matter how easy/lame you make Aneurysm, you will never beat the Strava time you get going straight down the road.

Offline AndrewB

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 08:05:49 PM »
Was discussing aneurysm last night, my expectations of the track is a nice flowy track with berms, table tops and drops.
The last drop is too close to the corner to hit it at any great speed.

Some features don't work overly well on a all mountain bike as distances between features are wrong. A track running parallel as a specific jumps track would then make every happy 😊 then down the track when more tracks can be added from the summit they could link up. Happy days

Offline AndrewB

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »
I guess we all ride the tracks differently too, I would always be trying to race myself against the clock, others prefer to cruise and hit every feature with big air hence the disagreement on some features, however many still feel that some bumps are too close.

Offline CKaos

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »
I guess if you had a real need to make Aneurysm fit a pure 'flow trail' spec then you would need to change a few things. As it is, we have a number of raw elements, both fast & tight flow sections and jumps of varying size, format & difficulty.  There could be more drops, but there aren't too many lazy sections in its 800 odd meters.
In its current form you can focus on the sections of trail that either you are already good at, or want to improve in - depending on what you want out of that ride on that day.
Really, the opportunities some have identified to improve the trails are really opportunities that they have identified to improve their riding.
Once again, don't throw the baby out with the bath water, use what you have to its fullest potential rather than dismissing it and saying 'that trail should be better'.
You are not responsible for the trails development, only your own!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alf

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
I hear that there were two ambulance calls for Anuerysm this morning, Nate you better head over with a shovel and some bubble wrap.

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
I hear that there were two ambulance calls for Anuerysm this morning, Nate you better head over with a shovel and some bubble wrap.
We can never make everything 100% risk proof, but we can try to minimise risks where adequate by following the building standards, making riders aware of risks and reminding them to acknowledge their own riding capabilities :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline Case King

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
A berm probably wouldn't work at the top of aneurysm that well due to how wide the trail is through the drops.

The picture from the pink bike site show good technique and body position for riding through a flat corner.

I enjoy aneurysm because it is easily accessible with having to slog up a big hill first. It has roots, berms, fun small jumps, fun medium sized jumps and wicked flat corners; it has just about everything and you don't need to ride the whole track to enjoy it. The recent work has made the trail 'flow' through the top.

If you are feeling a little uncomfortable with sections, enrol in an LDTR skills session to gain some guidance on proper bike body position and other fundamental skills. Like some other participants I have taught, they have then gone to the parts of aneurysm with the features they want to work on without riding the rest of the track.

Keep an eye out for the next session: https://www.lysterfieldmtb.com/skills (probably late June).

Offline Olly

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »
I agree Aneurysm is excellent even for a relative newcomer to MTB riding like myself. It's got quite a bit of variety and lots of flowy sections. I'm looking forward to enrolling in one of the LDTR skills sessions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!