Author Topic: Recommenced Bikes for Lysterfield  (Read 690 times)

Offline BennyLj

Recommenced Bikes for Lysterfield
« on: May 21, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »
Heyy Peeps, Looking for some insight to what type of bikes people think works best for lysterfield trails just to check what setups before i run off a buy something . Cheers.   

Offline Cranker

Re: Recommenced Bikes for Lysterfield
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »
CX bike is great for Lystie...
When I go, I want to go peacefully like my grandpa!.......not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »
...but they are no fun (CX bikes)

Offline CKaos

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Hi Benny,

I wouldn't base my bike choice on what works at Lystie - the right rider can get by with pretty much any bike at Lystie.

2 things I think you need to consider. Where is my riding at now and where do I want it to be?

I have a 29r carbon hardtail (9.5kg) and a 27.5 short / medium travel duallie (11kg).  If the trails are running fast I love to take the Stumpjumper 29r out just because it is sooo fast - and to me, flying through twisty single track and testing your skills on flat corners, roots and smaller feature is pretty close to peak adventure.  We have plenty of trail at Lystie that suit that bike to a 'T'.  It's the sort of bike you can get out and crunch out 30k's averaging somewhere near 20k/hr (ie a competitive XC race bike also).

If I'm riding for fun with a group, don't want to think about my riding too much on that day, feel like speeding through (rather than finessing through) the more technical trails or to cure a hangover I take my Pivot Mach 4 out.

To me the Mach 4 is more than enough bike for Lystie and it gets me through the less extreme stuff at the Youies and Buller with capacity to spare.  It's not really slack in the head angle and is no fatty bombar - so it's pretty good up the hills also. I have raced it on more technical courses and in wet conditions just because it is so much more forgiving and I tend to stay on it more so than the the 29r.

So, look at what you currently enjoy doing, if that is bombing down the few flow / down hill trails we have at Lystie (or dare I say, heading to the North) whilst hitting every feature you can find then go for a 27.5 with medium travel (Trail - All Mountain if you want to talk bike styles).  If you hope to do a bit of XC racing, explore a few other areas with moderate confidence and still be able to ride the rough stuff when you feel like it look toward a short - medium travel 29r.  Going for a 27.5+ tyre size can allow you to swap a short - medium travel bike between racy with 2.1 tyres or all mountain with 3.0 tyres.  The traction & control the big bags give you in rough stuff is nuts - just not the fastest bike around when the traction abounds on the twisty single track or high 'G' berms (ie it could get scary at Buxton).

Budget is always a talking point.  You can get onto a nice 29r hard tail for 3k and there really isn't as much variance between brands (if you choose a hard tail we could further discuss what to look for).  I would be looking in the 5k+ range for duallie that hasn't compromised too much on frame materials or the group set spec (ie good fork/shock/wheels/rear mech). 

If I was looking at 1 bike to do all I would have a good look at the Trek Fuel EX, the Norco Fluid, the Giant Trance or Scott Spark in the more affordable product range.  If you are happy to spend a bit more then start with the Specialized Camber and look at the boutique brands like Santa Cruz, Yetti, Pivot and Rocky Mountain.  29' wheels will give you better speed and smooth out the rough stuff, 27.5 will sharpen up the handling and make it a little more forgiving.

CK

Offline Alistair

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
Definitely an ebike. Don't listen to the haters.

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
Definitely an ebike. Don't listen to the haters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline Alistair

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
 :o

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
Agreed with Ckaos, the Trance, Norco fluid and Ex Fuel are great all-rounder bikes.

You can usually pick these up 2nd hand on Gumtree or FB (MTB buy, swap & sell pages) pretty cheap ($1000 to $1500).

Also, keep an eye out for 2015/16 new bikes in stores. The 2018 bikes are about to come out, so you'll get a great deal on shops wanting to clear older models.

Tim
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Poppy (Nick)

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »
coming into end of financial years sales at this time of year you can get new, ex demo or ex showroom floor stock cheap if you can haggle i got my bike with all new gear (helmet cleats pedals riding gear pumps tools camelbak and more i cant remember) for close to half price. bike exchange is a great place to look and use as a bargaining tool.

Offline Spike-X

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »
I think it comes down to what kind of riding you enjoy? If you prefer climbing (for some reason), a shorter travel dually, or even a hardtail would be the go. I have a 120mm 29er dually, and it's great for climbing while still being able to get me back down over some pretty rough terrain.

Personally I prefer flying down the hills and popping off the odd jump or dropoff, so I take my Norco Sight; 27.5, 140/150mm travel, shorter cockpit. It's still a decent climber, but so much fun on the descents.

Mine is about the most aggressive bike I've seen out there, and on the other end of the scale, you have people* doing it on full rigid single speeds. So I guess work out what kind of riding you want to do in general, and buy a bike geared towards that, and it will be fine out there.

*freaks

Offline CKaos

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 01:49:45 AM »
Sort of agree with Spike. If I go for a ride and end up with no gears, or suspension that don't work, I think I've had a crap day. For some, that's as good as it gets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!