Author Topic: 2017 Bright 24 hour - Nov 18 & 19  (Read 839 times)

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
2017 Bright 24 hour - Nov 18 & 19
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
Save the date:

The 2017 Bright 24 Hour is on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 November. Put it in your diary. Rego opens in a few weeks.

In 2016, LDTR had 12 riders (3 teams of 4) enjoying a super fun weekend away, riding in one of the best MTB events in Australia. This year we are hoping to take even more club members to the B24.

This year there are two riding options:
XC - Cross country. Timed laps of the course.
GE - Gravity enduro. Timed descents only.

If you are keen to come to the B24 this year, keep an eye on this post. You can ride solo or in a team.

Cost is about $130, this includes race rego & camping. BYO food.

We head up to Bright on Friday afternoon, and return late Sunday afternoon. The race is 12pm Sat to 12pm Sun.

We will post up rego details as soon as it opens.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
  • Does the word 'shred' mean anything to you?
Re: 2017 Bright 24 hour - Nov 18 & 19
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »
In a piece of very unfortunate timing this event is on the same weekend as the Blue Dirt Ignition festival at Falls Creek. Can't wait to do the Fainter track again!!! You'll find me in the backcountry for sure  :)  Such an awesome weekend.

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
Yer I noticed that. Too bad two events are on so close to each other on the same weekend. You think they'd try and coordinate this better. especially with B24 offering a GE option this year.

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »
Agreed it's a shame... Was contemplating the 24hr, but Fainters Track trumps for me.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Offline CKaos

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
Now you have my interest. What does the Blue Dirt event involve? Ie route(s)/pickup/drop off? Do they do a 2nd day over to the east?

I think I may swap to the 30T on the front next time I do that track!!  But definitely Pivot with high volume tires terrain - even baggies.

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »
Now you have my interest. What does the Blue Dirt event involve? Ie route(s)/pickup/drop off? Do they do a 2nd day over to the east?

I think I may swap to the 30T on the front next time I do that track!!  But definitely Pivot with high volume tires terrain - even baggies.
Look at http://ignitionmtb.com.au
for all the details.

Fainters Track - they drive u up to the high plains, you climb a bit further then traverse the Fainters range with epic alpine views, and eventually down down down to Mt Beauty thru Big Hill mtb Park. Last year they provided an excellent A3 map, shuttle up to start, a few guides to ride with everyone, fully marked out track junctions, then bus and bike transport from Mt Beauty back up to Falls.

I've done the Fainters ride as a 90km dawn to dusk ride (ok we finished after dark) and I assure you that shuttles are much more fun.

No Timms Spur shuttle this year, just Fainters. Which is the most beautiful backcountry ride in Australia...

There are other shuttles and stuff on too both on the Saturday and the Sunday. You could do a skills session ;-)

Last year I think about 400-500 people there with a great fun atmosphere, very social, beers music dinner bikes and good times.

Offline neb

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:45:17 PM »
Unfortunately the blue dirt guys did it on purpose... not the best way to play in a small industry. They are spoilt for choice in the dates they could pick. The Bright guys not so as Bright has back to back events during that time. See you at the B24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CKaos

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »
Thanks Hells. Know the area well, any opportunity to iron out either the logistics or uphill vs downhill ratio grabs my attention. It's unfortunate if politics or economics make either event untenable - plenty of room and options available for all in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alistair

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
Ride alpine downhill in great scenery with beer or pay to thrash yourself day and night on a course that avoids all the good trails and will be a mudpit come 3am. Hmm difficult choice 😀. But yeah, not too sporting to make them same weekend.
Fainters is great, a true epic.

R

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »
Hmm yes politics is very disappointing. It looks like the B24h has moved back a week as the Ignition event is exactly the same weekend as last year.  Dear Bright has become insanely popular these days.

Craig, its the standard ride.  Dropped by buses at Ruined Castle.  Ride Pretty Valley Pondage to Fainter Fire Track which you take past Tawonga huts and the Fainters, then onto Big Hill fire track.  You could choose your own adventure to go down thru the mtb park but they had it signposted to cross over the road and go down Survey Track.  Was about 850m climbing and 40km.  (strava doesn't tell me vert loss).  The long hike a bike section where all those snowgums are fallen across the track was not cleared.

For us the shuttle bus from the Mt Beauty bakery came at a reasonable time - plenty of time to chat and eat and relax but didn't feel like we were left waiting for hours and hours.  I would probably take a slightly more relaxed pace next time tho as we did wait a while. Or go for a swim.

I agree with Al on decision making... plus 4 days of stage racing has been a FIRM reminder than mass start XC events are full of men who lack strength, skill, flow and etiquette.  One particular grumpy old f*** who sulked and carried on (and actually blocked me!) when I asked to pass him (for the fourth day in a row - this was not new information for him that I was faster and better!) was particularly infuriating.  So I'll stick to the social events where people smile and dont deliberately block the trail!!!!

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
Anyway...............

Back on track for this thread. For those interested on coming to B24 race, please ignore the negative comments above. Its a fantastic, well run, fun event.

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
Ahahaha sorry Brossie. Just wound up on my own rant about men who can't ride.

Yes b24 is a great event indeed! BOTH options for the weekend are freaking awesome!!!

Offline alf

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
Do you mean that :
For old antisocial
Quote from: hels_bels
                                          men who can't ride. Yes b24 is a great event indeed!
;D

Offline hels_bels

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 06:48:23 PM »
I knew I could trust in you Alf.  Without fail!!!  Thanks for the interpretation.

So I guess you'll be at B24?

;)

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!