Author Topic: Using Trail Etiquette  (Read 9523 times)

Offline Jesterarts

Re: Using Trail Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
Interesting. Learnt something new today.

Though I have to admit I would have thought a climber would want the inside line anyway given that's the shortest route around the corner and they are not using the outside back of a corner for traction.

Thanks for the response guys. I'll keep this in mind moving forward.

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
As Baldydave said, there's never a reason to hurl some abuse at another rider. Its not like you set out to annoy the guy.

Obvioiusly he wasnt on a 26er. Us 26ers are the nicest most friendly riders anywhere. We dont get grumpy having to lug those massive wheels around the park  :D :D :D
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Duane

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
Keep left, unless it's a 26er or the rider is wearing a LDTR jersey, those guys are too unpredictable, better off just giving them a wide berth. ;)

Offline Jesterarts

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
Yeah, I would have been on the left of the corner anyway as that was the outside for me and generally I keep left. Just like on the roads. :)

Online Uphillcursing

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
There was a few pretty uncool things going on today. Park was busy and people riding up the one way bit at Dogpound Decent. He nearly got taken out for his trouble, offspring was not expecting him on a blind corner at all.
Another group of three riding up the CommGames, on the really fast bottom bit. I did try to explain that it might not be the best idea. Seems like I may have wasted my breath though as they carried on up anyway. Another one a bit higher up stopped dead in the middle of the trail admiring the view.
I hope there is some kind of Karmic equalisation for these people.
I have always tried to teach the Offspring to give way to everybody, even ALF ( he killed himself trying to keep up by the way), but even he was pissed off today after all the above and was a bit pushy on the Redgum climb with a large group of about 15 who were in no hurry. Had a few words with him at the top about moral high ground and such but was hard to justify to a kid.

I have seen signs with trail etiquette in trail centres elsewhere. Are we getting to a point that we need something like this in Lysterfield? Can't be so many self entitled people riding I think and must be a lack of knowing what is expected.
Rant over

Offline Duane

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »
STRAVA!

Online Uphillcursing

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »
Strava is the work of the devil himself but I am not sure any of the woes above could be attributed to that. If you mean to imply that offspring and I were in a hurry and riding without consideration due to Strava, well he rides pretty damn slowly and gives way to those oncoming and catching him. We often end up in an "after you. No after you" scenario.

Offline alf

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »
Nah Duane meant that strava is what causes the behavior you observed.

Offline Duane

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
I also contribute Strava for 80% of the shortcuts and hence trail damage for the heroes trying to shave seconds without the skills required to do it by just riding faster, the other 20% are just lazy shits.

I know what you mean though, I ride there occasionally with my son and I have taught him to get off the track and give way to everyone whether trail etiquette says he should or not, some say thankyou, some have friendly words of encouragement for the lad but sadly alot just ride by like they deserve right of way. I must say though every single rider I can remember on the Friday night races said thankyou, so I'm pretty confident that LDTR and any associated riders are all a highly respectful bunch, perhaps we do need a few IMBA code of conduct signs about to educate the visitors.

Online neb

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
I was riding up (UP) Redgum just before it hits Glen Track a few days ago and had some hero call out as he was coming down "RIDER" as if I should give way... I just stood my ground in a non aggressive way and said "G'day mate" as he gave way to me (as he should, heaps of room) and rode past....

I think the Sunday/Sat crowd are normally much less knowledgable of basic rider etiquette, they don't ride regularly and some don't even wear helmets or gloves etc. Plus they obviously don't read signs so I'm not sure what we can do about that.

Ben

Offline Duane

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
Calling out "Rider" isn't necessarily a call for right of way, I and the people I ride with do it often, even when I've pulled to the side and practically come to a standstill. It's to let the others know that they are approaching traffic or to let others in our group know as too many mongs ride watching 3 feet in front of them and have no idea of other people on the trail regardless of passing etiquette. Perhaps the rider called out as he wasn't sure you were aware of his presence and didn't want to upset your Strava time.

Offline Travis22

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »
Anyone else noticing an increase in 'trail runners' running on the mtb only tracks?

Travis.

Offline SimonH

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »
What Duane said. And yes Travis, me too.

Offline CKaos

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »
Always a current subject in my opinion.  I had 3 encounters passing the same 'blinkered' rider last night. 

The 1st time he approached was on a flat,straight section of trail - so I didn't call to warn him of my approach, as I could not imagine anyone riding for nearly 30 seconds without looking ahead on any trail.  My bad, he held the middle of the trail, maintained speed and pushed me off the trail.  Next time we met was on the 2 part Middle board walk.  The female rider ahead of him (he was not visible to me at this time) pulled over to the side at the end of the board walk as she saw I was already on it (a whole other etiquette subject in it's own right) - not old mate - he barged straight past her and forced me to exit off the side of the board walk without uttering a sound. 

Based on his speed and likely course I figured I would met him again on Buckle near Lamberts.  Sure enough, I saw him coming on the big switchback where Lower Follow Me runs into Buckle.  I called 'rider up' as we passed still a minute apart then again when he was about 10m from me.  He made space and we passed each other without incident.  Turns out he's not rude; reckless and thoughtless maybe!  He just watches his front wheel and nothing else.

So, whilst 'rider up' can sound aggressive or dumb; it doesn't sound as dumb as a bell and is less aggressive than dissing out on the dude that just ran you into a tree.

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!