Author Topic: June Trail Build  (Read 352 times)

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
June Trail Build
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
Trail Build/Maintenance Day

DATE & TIME: Sunday 3rd June 8:30am

REGISTRATION: Online registration will be posted soon, however you're more than welcome to turn up on the day and sign in there.

MEETING: Parks Vic Depot (Just above Skills Park) 13 Resovoir Rd Narre Warren North

WORKS:
We will be working on Lower Blair Witch trail, realigning the trail in three different sections and blocking off the old trail. Ideally, the materials we need will be there from prior preparation. If not, this build may occurr on the Sunday as we'll need the Saturday to prepare.

BRING: Water, food, shovel (if you prefer your own shovel), good shoes (preferably steel capped) and appropriate clothing for weather.

Please let us know if you're attending by replying on this forum thread (so we can organise tools and food etc).
If you have any questions, please ask away.
BBQ and cold drinks provided for free to volunteers at the end of the build.

BYO food if you have any special food requirements.

Builds usually run for 4-6 hours. If you need to leave early or are arriving later in the day, please message me on this forum or contact us via our contact form at www.lysterfieldmtb.com

Hope to see you there.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:47:21 PM by Nate »
LDTR Social Media & Head Trail Builder

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
Re: June Trail Build
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
This build will be on the Sunday, however, feel free to ride your bike to Lower Blair Witch from 1pm onwards on the Saturday the day before if you want to help out. The morning I will be shifting mulch near the trail (no help required), in the afternoon I will be grading out the realignment so that i can spend more time on the Sunday ensuring the features we are putting in are sustainable and also making any refining adjustments with the machine if needed.

Bring a wheelbarrow if you have one.

Cheers,
Nate.

Offline Vossy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »
I noticed this hasn't been posted on the Park Connect website yet?

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
I noticed this hasn't been posted on the Park Connect website yet?
I can add you manually after the build.

Just seeing what way is easier

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
If anyone is free tomorrow. Tim will be at the compound with Renae to work on Lower buckle. Need 1 or 2 more people to help him out.

9am at the parks vic yard

Cheers,
Nate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline CKaos

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:30:04 PM »
Hey,

Spoke to Tim, will try to get there without a car. If Vossy or Cale is going - can you pick me up?

CK

Offline Vossy

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 08:19:46 PM »
I can pick you up on the way through. Let me know what time suits.
Vossy

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »
Sorry guys, slight change of plans. Moving it to the afternoon. Meet at PV at 1.30pm, if you can.

Cheers. Tim
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Nate

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
A massive build today with only 10 volunteers working from 8:30am to 4:30pm.

PICS HERE: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lysterfieldmtb/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1718487258188461

A huge thanks to those who helped today, moving two truck trailer loads of soil along Lower Blair Witch.

This trail has many more features... so please roll slowly through the short section before you "send it".

We realigned the trail in 3 or 4 sections to improve the drainage and water flow.
There are a lot of 1-2 metre long rollers with large drains to catch or the sediment.

There's two roller sections which can be manual'd or gapped.

We also added a bunch of berms to help you catch your speed in some of the corners.

Thanks to Renae from Parks Vic for organizing the power barrow and for sourcing logs for us with the chainsaw.

Big thanks to Nick from Coates Hire for the discount on the machinery. You've been a pleasure to work with the past 4 months!

This was a massive build and one of the biggest yet due to how many features and drainage points we had to cap off.

The old trail has been covered over and blocked off.

FAQ for the riders who like communication before they even ride it:

Why did we do this?
The old trail was very much a fall line trail and riders loved it for its ruts, roots and roughness. It was short and steep. Unfortunately it also was extremely under-maintained and the condition it was in meant there was always 40-50mm of sediment/sandy soil on top. This old trail alignment became a river when it rained and was extremely unsustainable with the ruts that were forming and caused the track to always be in poor condition.
Re-aligning the trail with large self flushing reverse grade drains not only allows for riders to learn their pumping skills, but it also helps with the erosion.

Why are the berms/corners so tight right before the walking track?
To slow you down. That walking track cops many many walkers, especially on the weekend. Minimising a collision not only improves the safety for all visitors of the park, but it also helps you improve your cornering skills and your skill of looking ahead for dangers.

I like ruts and rough natural trails!?
Ruts are great, and eventually the new alignment will get rougher the more people ride it. So ride it and have fun and try to learn something on the new alignment that you haven't been bothered trying before.

Gaps are dangerous!?
They aren't gaps if you roll them or manual them. If you can't manage your speed to roll the features or manual them, check yourself and your skills before your ride this trail level. There are B lines for those who aren't confident enough, but all the features ARE roll able.

When's your next build?
We suually have builds once a month. Once we know the date, we'll post up on facebook, instagram and our website at www.lysterfieldmtb.com

How to I give back to the trails and the club?

Donate here: https://www.lysterfieldmtb.com/
Volunteer here: https://www.lysterfieldmtb.com/volunteering

See you all out on the trails!

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!