Author Topic: Drainage Problems: List them & Thoughts  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Alistair

Re: Drainage Problems: List them & Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 06:40:28 PM »
Maybe during the audit we can create a Cross country WET RACE track that all races must be held on if the trails are wet. Might annoy the race organisers but what is the point in putting heaps of volunteer labour only for a race to destroy any efforts that would be put in. Another option would be to hold races in the dryer months....... :o

On a positive note though the Trailmix trail Berms and track has held up really well not much water on the track at all. Good drainage and good design seems to be the key.

Bit of a mess where we have started our works on Blair Witch Trail but with some dry weather and compaction should help this, complete with some good drainage around the berms.

ha!  ;DI didnt even bother going to Lysterfield today, went elsewhere as I was sure it would be shithouse after CTS2. I accept that there will always be racing there, indeed a good number of us take part, but there needs to be a rethink to make it more sustainable. In my mind that means the sort of stuff you are suggesting would be worth considering, i..e swapping tracks, more use of fireroads if its wet and events in the summer months when it the trails. Can anyone from FGP/Trailmix give a view?cheers

Offline Alistair

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
That last line should read:  "i.e. swapping tracks, more use of fireroads if its wet and events in the summer months when its easier on the trails."

Offline Andrew

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »
One of the positives that have come out of CTS2 is that the red gum now has a line that is getting smooth!!! I rode buckle today and its in a pretty poor state hopefully we can get some solutions soon...

Offline thelankymanx2

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »
While I rode on the weekend, I am positive that it wasn't a good thing for the track.  There was just too many riders and too much rain beforehand for even the best track to hold up.  I wouldnt have been disappointed if it was called off.
While I think that FGP does a good job of advocacy etc, they really should be responsible (as the people making money from the event) to bring the track back to a similiar state to what it was before the race, or not have the race on the trails.
People gotta realise that if the trails are wet dont ride them.  If you are complaining about how muddy the trails are you probably shouldnt be riding! Go for a road ride instead :-\

Offline Oliver

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 09:10:42 PM »
"Healthy Parks Healthy People Grant"

Just to advise everyone Parks Vic has passed on a Grant of $6500 to help us build trails, boardwalks and signage for in and around the Lysterfield Mountain Bike Park. Big thanks to Parks Vic for this money as it will go a long way in improving the bike park.

We are planning to locate signage on all trails c/w trail name and at major trail heads we will place trail maps and park information.

Another project that we want to carry out is the building of boardwalks in and around the park. The club would like to make these boardwalks into features not just a straight section of track. Anyone with ideas and suggested locations feel free to give us your ideas.

Cheers Olly.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »
Good news Olly. How about doing some of the boardwalks on buckle? Its a bit featureless in places.  Just remembering though that the new boardwalk up the back had a tree stump in the middle, which would have barely registered as an obstacle to most of us but was sliced out at a later date anyway. I'm presuming that it was seen as too risky.

I guess it would be good to get a steer from Park's Vic about where we are allowed to be a bit more adventurous. The signage would help in this respect by clearly delineating if trails were better suited to MTB enthusiasts or family's out for a ride in the forest. Got to cater for both. Currently you see families with young kids mixing it with the racers flying around at max speed and it doesnt really do anyone any favours.  I think this is one area where the club could really give lysterfield some direction which would improve the experience for both these groups. Open to people's opinions on that.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
I personally would love to have harder/ more technical tracks, and  i believe we can after we get the current trails sustainable As you know there are many family/newbies that ride at lysterfield so there has to be a MTB loop that they can ride with out being dangerous...

...but I REALLY WANT MORE TECHNICAL TRACKS AT LYSTERFIELD (ahhh that feels better ;D)

Offline Oliver

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 08:21:04 AM »
Ah yes, more technical tracks is the ulitmate goal. It will be acheived but might take some time. I hope to finish off the current dam wall re-route in the next 2 -3 build days. Once this is done and we can get riders off the dam wall and have reduced a major risk ( hate that word) between walkers and riders.

Once this is finished our first stage of the audit should be completed, will talk to PV and ask if we can start on tech trail just to balance the trails being built. An obvious place to start is Comm's track.

PV has discussed the option of IMBA coming for a 2-3 day trail building training session with all volunteers. Maybe we can mark out comm's track during this time and get a Black run built. All this takes time though, as more people get into helping on trail days the quicker we can make a real impact.

Can you make it to the build day Alistar?

Cheers Olly

Offline Alistair

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
Yes , I should be able to make it on the 21st. I would be interested in attending any IMBA training session too, if you are thinking about dates then perhaps over a weekend to get the most people to show up. Shouldnt be too much hassle to close off the comms track for a couple of days. (that reminds me actually , well done whoever put up the new barriers at the top of the dam wall section - they are alot harder to "ignore" now)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
That would be PV

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!