Author Topic: Events at Lysterfield... opinion???  (Read 6884 times)

Offline Oliver

Re: Events at Lysterfield... opinion???
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
Really good conversation and great to see all positive in nature.

I have no issues with races being held at Lysterfield only to make sure that the trails are dry and will not be damaged. Races must be re routed onto fire roads or dates changed when the trails are too wet. In saying this a race can be benificial for the trails when a new trail needs to be bedded in. A high volume of riders can bring in a really good line.

Now to the money issues. It is important to know that revenue taken in by PV all goes to general revenue. fGP can give a higher amount to PV after a race for none of it to go to the local trails. This issue will need to be sorted before a increase in trail donations should be made by event organizers. Another real option is for LDTR to organize own events ( a new set of volunteers needed for this as current committee fairly busy with current projects).

No solution is the majic bullet but a conversation by all mtb user groups should be had to make sure all opinions and ideas are respected, let's hope this thread can be the start of positive and constructive communication.

Offline Grant

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »
....just out of interest, is there any restrictions on public usage while the events are on?

Offline Alistair

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
....just out of interest, is there any restrictions on public usage while the events are on?

They tend to tape everything off when theres a big competition, so yes I think it would be restricted. The dirt crits just seem to be lots of little signs, so you can choose to run the same trails if you want although probably not advisable if the lead group is just around the corner!

Offline Alistair

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
I'd just like to see a trail levy go into a central PV pool to be earmarked for ongoing trail maintenance and,  in line with Lynda's comments, it needs to more accurately reflect the costs involved. c. $1 per rider is meaningless in the context of the potential cost of mtb trail repairs (otherwise Glen Jacobs would be driving a '91 Pulsar to work)*.

Not sure how workable the bond idea is in practice and imagine it would be extremely difficult to apply if the decision was made to withhold it for any reason (which one would expect any promoter to fight). I'd rather just see a bit of good faith on all sides and some helping out from the promoting clubs involved after events, perhaps this could be aided by a modestly reduced entry price for any competitors that help out on trail days?

* Although he may do and 91 was a good year for the Pulsar.

Offline Grant

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »

They tend to tape everything off when theres a big competition, so yes I think it would be restricted. The dirt crits just seem to be lots of little signs, so you can choose to run the same trails if you want although probably not advisable if the lead group is just around the corner!

Thanks

Offline lard

• -=> Dave <=-
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
Really good conversation and great to see all positive in nature.

I have no issues with races being held at Lysterfield only to make sure that the trails are dry and will not be damaged. Races must be re routed onto fire roads or dates changed when the trails are too wet. In saying this a race can be benificial for the trails when a new trail needs to be bedded in. A high volume of riders can bring in a really good line.

That's a really good point, I've done some races where brand new single track goes from a bumpy line in the dirt, to sweet fast flowing trails in a matter of hours.  
I would like to see a race over all the new sections of track at the northern end of the park soon, but only if it's a nice sunny day....

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!