Author Topic: Advocacy  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Kathie

• Dandenong Ranges Nature Photography
Advocacy
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:08:33 AM »
One of the goals of LDTR is to act as an advocate on behalf of all trail riders.  So anything to do with Advocacy can be discussed here.
Kathie Thomas
LDTR Forum Admin

Offline Andrew

Re: Advocacy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »
Copied from RB... but sign up!!!
Hey Guys..

I am stealing someone's elses thunder here...it's also posted in the Victoria section of the Waterhole topic... but I figured a lot more people will see it here.. done with permission from the author (not me!... but Spoka). So mods feel free to delete one of the threads if required.

With the Vic election coming up very soon it is time to get MTB on the political agenda. We all know that other states have got there act together and developed a state wide MTB strategy, so why not Vic?
Why a statewide strategy?? Simple, so that all MTB riders get an opportunity to have legal trails in their region through consistent policy from land managers and funding available to make it happen.

Get on it at; http://www.gopetition.com/petition/39290.html

The more the better!

Offline Nick

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »
Ok bored at work wishing i was riding so time for another MTB Advocacy brainstorm..

Ive come up with an offer we could maybe go to DSE/Parks with to get access to walker only trails. My prime motivation being to be able to ride up Richards Tramway Track (currently no bikes) so i can ride down the Upper Yarra Trail (OK). When up there i noticed a hige amount of fallen trees over trails up that way making access difficult for all.

Now stealing from the IMBA website i was thinking what would be the plausibility of offering to clear a certain number of trails twice a year in return for access? So for example DSE allows MTBs access to Richards Tramway Track in return for 2 days of the year (once in autumn and once in spring) volunteer work where we clear some trails of fallen trees and generally tidy up. i.e Richards Tramway and the Upper Yarra track. It wouldnt be too hard to spend the day running up and down those trails with a chainsaw.

Does this sound reasonable? Who would we approach? What does everyone think?
www.ridgelinemtb.com - European Style Gravity Assisted MTB Tours - BETA testing phase - Want to come help recce some awesome trails? Just pay your way - PM me for details

Offline AB76

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
I see Lysterfield is a 'multi-use' venue..
Why shouldn't walkers should be entitled to some dedicated tracks that are 'walking only'..
This is similar to the 'bike only tracks'...
I would expect PV to have a broad plan or view of the usage for Lysterfiled and would like to cater for many different interest groups..

Having seen the degredation of some short sections of the existing 'bike only' trails over the past 3 weeks, I would not consider this damage shoould be acceptable to walkers on their dedicated 'walking only' trails..

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
Hi, there are dedicated tracks that are 'walking only' for example the tramline track, Thomson Track, Bots Farm Heritage Walk to name but a few.

The PV Parknote for this area should give you a better idea of the 'walking only' tracks available. Also there is an extensive network of shared MVO tracks accross the park too that stand up to wear and tear alot better.
www.ridgelinemtb.com - European Style Gravity Assisted MTB Tours - BETA testing phase - Want to come help recce some awesome trails? Just pay your way - PM me for details

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!