Author Topic: Lysterfiel track closures  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Andrew

Lysterfiel track closures
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »
Due to exception conditions some tracks around Lysterfield will be closed, until such time as they can be made rid able (read safe)

at this stage the closed tracks include;

Buckle
                          Upper Buckle
                          Middle trail

please support Parks Vic by not riding the closed trails

for more info
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/mresources/LP_mtb_trail_info_Aug2010.pdf

please have your say in this forum (keep it constructive)

Offline thelankymanx2

Re: Lysterfiel track closures
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »
Good Call.  Now lets see if something is done to help make them rideable

Offline Andrew

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
I just hope this doesn't encourage people to ride "illegaly"

Offline wayne

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:17:44 PM »
People already ride illegally.

If riders know about this info before rocking up to Lysterfield as least they a prepared and know some areas are closed.

I can see some ignorant riders that have travelled 30min+ to ride and see areas are closed and get annoyed not knowing before hand and will end up doing the wrong thing.
LDTR Committee Member

Offline Alistair

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »
Good call PV. I think the majority of people will respect the closures. 

Offline AB76

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
What's the definition of "Exceptional Circumstances"...?

July edition of "Chase the Sun" was responsible for the damage to Buckle track.
August edition of "Chase the sun" was responsible for the damge to Middle Trail.

Recovey of these trails would not currently be an issue, if there was a more responsible approach to determinign which trails are to be used for these types of events, particularly taking into consideration the number of entants, and the anticipated weather prior to and during these events..

Offline Andrew

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »
Buckle trail has been in that state every winter that i can remember...
I don't think it is fair to blame CTS 2&3 for all the issues on these trails or the whole of lysterfield, these areas struggle every winter, the trail network was never designed to handle the level of traffic it gets.

If anything whilst it annoys me that the track is in the state it is in, i think in the long run it will be a good thing for Lysty, from this winter PV are much more interested in the welfare of the MTB network.

Offline AB76

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »
Buckle trail has been in that state every winter that i can remember...

Sorry but I find it impossible to agree with this comment..
I've lived in the area for almost 35 years, and have been riding in Lysterfield for over 25 years..
And in that time I've seen some of the tracks in average condition.

But the recent, significant degradation of Buckle and Middle track was directly related to the CTS events..

I've been down both those tracks every week since March this year, and immediately following the July CTS event, Buckle was virtually impassible.

For the four weeks leading up to the July event, there was considerable rain, but the tracks were still in good condition, but having ridden down Buckle on the Saturday before the July event, and passed the guys marking the track for CTS, it was a mistake to allow 400 riders on that track following weeks of steady rain, and further rain forecast for the event on the Sunday.

I'm not blaming CTS for "All" the issues on these trails, because I don't have any problems with the trails.

The point is, that there should be some consideration by CTS and/or PV to lay out a course that is not going to result in track conditions, as they were subsequent  to the July and August CTS events, particularly when they could have used alternative tracks that would have withstood the traffic better.

And we wouldn't be in the position where tracks now have to be closed so they can recover. !

Furthermore I am pleased that PV are taking an active interest in the trail management..as over the years I've seen the Lysterfield management pass through a few different authorities and Councils with little development or improvement.

But, I guess with improvement comes change, so don't be surprised, if some cleaver adminstrator tries to impose a 'user pays cost', to offset some of the maintenance contributions..
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:50:36 PM by AB76 »

Offline Oliver

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:09 AM »
Agree 100%.

Trails were in semi reasonable conditions before the race and were totally destroyed by CTS 2 & 3

No point beating around the bush pretending that the races do not affect the trails. I am all for racing at Lysterfield but must be sustainable.

As far as users pay i do not think this is in the near future. It cost PV too much to maintain the guard house at the main car park let alone trying to get users to pay at multiple entry points to the park.

The more members LDTR has the more voice we will have when we go for government grants.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »
Wow, I rode all the legal track network last night.... It is in a worst state than it was when it was closed,

I left rather dispondant....

Why is it deteriorating further?

Offline DaveN

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »
If the club takes over the maintanence of the trails shouldn't the focus be on maintaining. It seems now everyone who used to look after the trails and kept them in some sort of condition no longer does. Is there something I'm missing here? Are they waiting for the new strategy to fail?

With the shape of the trails waiting on an audit is not going to get them back in riding condition. Focus seems to be on building new stuff, and the trails are the worst they've ever been. Rob, Snoz and  small crew used to head out with a few shovels and bikes and repair trails. Currently all that's happened are trails are getting worse by the day, I know guys who help run the Wombat club and the amount of hours they said they put in just to keep Dirt Works running is fantastic. They have the whole club kicking in time. They even had some sort of control on re-routes that happened because areas were too wet.

I agree there's businesses run out there, CTS is just one of them but wouldn't it be for LDTR to lobby to work in a fee or something per competitor to go towards fixing the trails and getting the commitment that they would invite all members to trail maintenance days? What about the local scouts, environmental groups etc etc

Just a little frustrating to see it the way it is with no real way forward at the moment, I've stopped riding there and taken to the roadie more and more. You Yangs which is an extra 30 mins each way it's going to have to be the new XC local. If enough people ride there maybe Trailmix will follow and there will just be a swamp left at Lysty.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
I used to go out with Rob, and Snoz to fix the trails.... The core of LDTR are the "Small crew" you refer to.

The basic facts are Lysterfield has had the wettest winter in 13 years, There is a strategy, at this stage LDTR are just doing what PV have asked of us.

I agree that it is frustrating....

I'm not defending it....

Offline Andrew

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »
... and they are all good ideas.... but there are so many good ideas and not enough time to get it done (full time jobs, ect ect), but if you are willing to follow some of these ideas through i would love to hear from you

marcus

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »
Hi everyone, I?m pretty new to this trail building stuff so please excuse me if I?m a bit off-track and haven?t seen the big picture.

It seems to me from various conversations going on that CTS is a major contributor to track deterioration. It has been suggested that entrants into CTS could pay a track maintenance surcharge to aid in restoring the tracks after the event, this sounds like a great idea but what to do with the money?

I?ve been to a few track building days now and while I really enjoy the day, I can?t see how, with the amount of people that show up, that the entire network can be maintained at that work rate. I know many of you get out there and work your butts-off outside of the designated trail maintenance days but the task is massive. It seems to me that a whole lot more people are needed to keep the tracks conditioned, perhaps this is where the CTS surcharge could come in, a good marketing campaign to motivate riders to donate their time and effort to trail maintenance. Most riders are pretty conscientious so I think they will come if they are aware of it and there is a benefit in it for them.

Not exactly sure what this ?report? is about but I?m hoping it may lay-out more sustainable tracks where drainage is less of an issue, if this is the case then it?s a report work waiting for. Any effort spent fixing existing trails that are prone to severe bogging is waisted when the next big rains come, and by all accounts we may have a much wetter summer than in previous years. With such scarce human resources effort needs to be really well targeted.

The way I see it there are three things to consider simultaneously:-

1) Getting compensation from events like CTS, either monetary or fix-up effort post event.

2) Promoting the club and getting people involved in the maintenance.

3) Directing work effort to the most effective, long term result. Either trail maintenance or new trail building.

I know it sounds really simple on paper but it can be done with concerted effort and planning. With so many great people riding Lysty there is a huge pool of people that can help, they just need to be motivated. Let me know if I can help, see you tomorrow.

Offline DaveN

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
Everywhere has had the worst winter in a very long time. It needs one trail fixed at a time, don't know any other way ot would work.

10 - 20 people every 2nd week for 2 hours at 10am (that way we can get down and ride early before). Send out a blanket email via LDTR, Trailmix, Fullgas, Dirtriders, MTBskills etc with a plan on what the day will focus on. Every 5 trail days attended gets a free spot to CTS or a T-shirt  ;) With daylight savings maybe an afternoon session for those who struggle on weekends.

I'm happy to pick up a shovel and focus on pure maintenance and maybe a separate group needs to work on this. Building new tracks while the place falls apart I'm not sold on that currently. Seems Parks are quite supportive of most things at Lysterfield. By the time the audit gets sorted, money put aside, gov paperwork I would of thought we're not talking until next year.

What is the planning and ideas forums these days, are there club meetings etc?

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!