Author Topic: Using Trail Etiquette  (Read 10347 times)

Offline Kathie

• Dandenong Ranges Nature Photography
Using Trail Etiquette
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:10:40 AM »
Here we can discuss the use of trails for the benefit of all users.
Kathie Thomas
LDTR Forum Admin

Offline Andrew

Re: Using Trail Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
What is the accepted etiquette to laughing at people falling off? ;D

Is it only OK to laugh we the fallee laughs?

Offline cam229

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »
Andrew,

As far as I know, but i have been known to be wrong (once, still trying to be dis-proved), the etiquette on falling and laughing is as follows:

Laughing at a faller is aceptable, once the fallee has made certain that the faller is not (too)  injured.

However, the fallee then accepts that if they become a faller, all ridicule is recieved with no recourse.

Hope this clears thing up  :D

Cameron

Offline Mike

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »
Perhaps the key words are "at" and "with" ;D

It is fine to laugh "with" someone who has fallen off their bike etc.

It may be regarded as bad manners to laugh "at" someone in the same circumstance perhaps.

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
mmm...
very subjective - but usually: check that the faller isn't too badly hurt, split your sides (it's a defence mechanism, if we stopped to think that could have been us or it could have been worse, we'd never ride again)
Martin
Mountain bike instruction and coaching: www.dividingrangemtb.com.au

Offline Alistair

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
Anything that doesnt look like hospitalisation is fair game, admittedly this is purely a spur of the moment assessment based on very little qualified clinical judgement. Everyone laughs in the end, so perhaps it is not whether it is OK to laugh about a fall but how long you wait until you feel you can, in the majority of cases it is immediate, other times it is not until days/weeks later.... :D

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »
mmm... why the question in the first place O Glorious Leader?
Mountain bike instruction and coaching: www.dividingrangemtb.com.au

Offline DaveN

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:44:47 PM »
Karma fairy gets you eventually though. Had quite a few chuckles at the OO mudfest this year but most people were having offs in the mudpack. Then I had an over the bars, got up laughed and 2 days later couldn't sleep on my rib, nearly back to 100% now.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
Just found this little guy

It gave me some lulz as well as getting the point across

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/328486/

Hope ya enjoy 
If you don't get hurt once in a while, you're not trying hard enough.

Offline RedEpic

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but felt compelled to join and leave a comment after once again being very disappointed by my fellow trail users this morning.  I've been riding and loving Lysterfield trails for nearly 2 years and been riding all over the world for 2 decades.  Instead of the usual friendly, cautious and generally supportive-of-everyone attitude displayed by mountain bikers world wide the majority of the riders at Lysterfield are just plain rude.  Getting a 'good morning' out of anyone is near impossible let alone expecting some trail manners.  Try to do better folks and lets remember why we ride in the first place - FUN!

Offline alf

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
Welcome RedEpic,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience today. As you might appreciate Lysterfield is a very busy MTB destination and you will unfortunately come across all sorts on the trails.

I try not to let any instance where riders do the wrong thing get to me. Pointless ruining a good ride getting upset.

My most memorable encounter on the trails so far has to be a young couple walking a newborn in a pram up the berms on blair witch.

Offline kerrip

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »
I had my first ride yesterday trying to work my way around the lake without getting lost (I failed) and found that everyone was very helpful in providing directions, people are keen to help and I just made sure I got out of the way of much more experienced riders than me.  I will definitely keep coming back, it's not just about the ride but the total experience, and mine was a good one :)

Offline Jesterarts

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »
So, I have a question in regards to rider etiquette.

I was riding down Upper Buckle today, started at the top where the start of FM is and I was going through the section of switch backs when I saw a rider coming the other way up the trail.

We were going to meet each other on a right hand turn for me, and given I was carrying more speed I assumed he would move to the inside and give me the outside line.

The reason for this thinking was the fact that it was far more difficult and risky for me to take the inside line given my speed and being on a down hill section.

But the other rider went to the outside and at the last minute darted to the inside, as I passed him he hurled some abuse at me.

Thoughts on who was in the right?

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
I always just use the road rules: keep to the left.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Baldydave

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
I stick to left when someone approaches, but if its too tight to both pass you both should slow down and common sense should prevail with each scenarios

Give way to climbing riders has been an IMBA rule for a long time which i apply but some uphill riders pullover before i slow down as they are more aware your coming down before you realise

Trail Rage though is not accepted in any circumstance and fortunately not seen any yet.

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!