Author Topic: G'Day...  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Numbnuts

• Ginger Vs Ugly? Ginger Wins.
G'Day...
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »

Newbie to this forum, met some of you at the trail build day on Saturday.

I've been riding on and off for the best part of 15 years, (probably more off than on).

I've only been back on the bike for about 12 months after a 3 year or so break when I moved to Melbourne from the UK and spent time settling in etc.

Most of my time back on a bike has been spent in Lysterfield up until recently.

I'm looking forward to getting back in the park, I've missed having some good trails close to home. The upside of a closed park has been that it's forced me to get out and try a few other places and types of riding.

No doubt I'll see some of you shredding the trails again soon, or at another build day.

Cheers,

Tony, the Pommie Peddler.

Offline Alistair

Re: G'Day...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Hi Tony ,
Welcome to the club, theres a couple of us brits. We are slowly trying to turn Lysterfield into one of the Welsh trail centres (except with more sunshine, less psycho sheep/inbred locals).
cheers
Alistair

Offline Numbnuts

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
Hi Alistair.

It was always fun racing the sheep down the trails, but it's still a bit surreal racing Roos instead!

Where in the UK were you from?

Offline Alistair

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:53 PM »
Yes it is a bit!

I lived just outside london before I came out here. Mostly built trails and rode on Army lands near my house. How about you?

Offline Numbnuts

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »
I'm a Boro lad. Born & bred in the grim, gray wilds of Middlesbrough. The town centre was a shit-hole, but we lived right at the foot the North Yorkshire Moors. 5 minutes riding from my front door and I was on the start of the trails leading up the Cleveland Hills and out onto the moors. Awesome riding, and trails in every direction. No built stuff, all old bridleways and animal tracks. There's always been a big MTB contingent round that way, so a lot of the trails have had years and years of bedding in.

What I really miss is the ability to pick a village out on the moors and ride out & back without seeing a sole, a car or even a road! Although with places like Lysty, and heading to say Olinda from Lysty you can rack the k's up if you plan a good route, but I really miss the sense of adventure and isolation that heading out into the open moors gives even when talking about similar distances.

When I was younger a group of us rode coast-to-coast. There's a 3 day cycle route, but we did the off-road version and spent 6 days riding 220 miles from West to East barely seeing a road. From St Bees to Whitby via the Penines, the Lakes and the NY Moors. We passed within a 10 minute ride of home on the way across. Brilliant. I miss that kind of thing.

I love living here, and love riding Lysty etc, but I really miss the hills and moors of home.

BTW is there a way of adding notifications to threads on this forum? I couldn't find one, and keep forgetting to check posts.

Cheers.

Offline muddy_dave

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
Just tacking on here as well.

Just joined after reading through this forum for a while.   I've recently moved down from Canberra and am still getting to know where all the trails are around Melbourne.  Living in the inner north I'm definitely missing being able to chuck the leg over and be climbing a dirt trail in five minutes, but I'm loving the fact that its late April and you can still ride mornings in shorts :)

I'd love to help out building trails or being more involved in some way as well.   Hopefully I'll see you all out there on the trails someday.  :)

Cheers

Dave

Offline lard

• -=> Dave <=-
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
If you're in the inner northern burbs you're very close to the yarra trails,  there's a lot of nice single track around there,  except when the yarra is flooding :)

Offline muddy_dave

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
Cheers, Just found out about them yesterday. 

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!