Author Topic: Trail Rage  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Dregs

Trail Rage
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
There has been a bit of talk about trail etiquette and IMBA rules over the years but there are always disputes about what is and isn't 'cool' out on the trails. This video was shot in the Port Hills - Christchurch, NZ over the Easter break and highlights the fact that small things can turn into bigger, nastier things pretty fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPLYStAuZt0

On first viewing you totally feel the filmers pain at getting stuck behind a slower rider and understand the frustration. After you see the whole thing you totally see that 'yellow man' was way, way, way out of line. If you watch it a few times you can see that 'filming guy' does manage to push the guys buttons in more ways than one and is a bit of a prat in his part in the whole thing.

Maybe we can all take a moment and chill a little on the trails, give a little space, say g'day, pause for a second to let an oncoming rider through in a tight spot or pull over for a second and let someone pass. There is enough agro out there in the world let's keep MTB a cool sport and relax a bit eh! Something to think about before turning on that GPS or helmet cam for your next home movie or Strava attempt too. I'm sure we have all done stuff we are not proud of but I think this is a good reminder to all of us to think about our choice of words and actions.

Cheers,

Dregs

Offline Alistair

Re: Trail Rage
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
When you've seen how they drive over there then nothing surprises me about the trail etiquette! ;D

I think this sort of stuff is fairly rare, in all my years of riding I've never seen riders come to blows. I think we all learned a potentially valuable lesson from this video though, if you are unlucky enough to be the victim of an assault whilst out riding and also have a gopro on your lid, DO NOT boast that you have the evidence on said camera as the assailant is walking away... ::)

Offline Numbnuts

• Ginger Vs Ugly? Ginger Wins.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
Not pretty.

There was a guy had a crack at one of our group on the LDTR 'Epic' last week.

He was coming toward us, (bear in monid there were 19 of us), I was tail end Charlie with about 3 people in fornt of me, so he'd already passed maybe 15-16 people.

One of our guys was on his own, about 10 meters in front of me and copped a heap of abuse for riding on the right hand side of the track. We were riding 'up' he was riding 'down'. I agree, there was some merit in what he was saying, about staying over to the left, but it was a big group and a straight stretch so he saw our guy coming from a mile away and made no attempt to go around him, he just headed straight for him then cracked it when they got to head-on.

It was really uncalled for, he was on his own and had been warned by several members of the group ahead that there was a big group following. Fair enough if he didnt want to pull off to the side and wait for the whole group to pass, but buy the same account, no need to get your panties in a bunch when you get wound up because there's a rider coming the other way when you've already been told several times that there's a big group coming.

Unfortunatley, some people are just tools, whether they be beind the wheel of a car, out in the street or on a bike.

I've got to say, I'm seeing more and more anti-socials up at Lysterfield these days. More and more people coming toward you at speed and not slowing down, or attempting to move over to safely cross each-other, and more and more people with their serious faces on that can't, or won't even acknowledge a friendly G'Day. It's a sad day when you can't take half a second to tip your head at a fellow rider, or have the courtesy to at least look up and assess who has the easiest place to slow or pull up to pass each other.

I don't know if it's just that there is a lot more traffic up there lately, or whether Strava has something to do with it.

Two guys were right on my ass on Hug last week, they set-off after me but soon caught me. Once they were on my tail I pulled in and let them passed, the 2nd guy laughed a moan and said not to have worried as he'd now be slowing me down once the trail heads up. It was fun though, I sat on their tail instead and frightened myself trying to keep up with them, then we had an adrenalin fueled giggle at the end. That's what it's all about, keep the fighting for the pub.

Offline Matt

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
I suspect there are increasing numbers of new riders who are knackered and lucky just to be staying upright, and therefore not thinking about giving way or saying hi.  I am seeing more and more people that just ride straight through the middle of the trail regardless of anyone else, who is best placed to pull over, etc.

Also, at the risk of upsetting those riders keen on the group ride thing, I have noticed on early(ish) morning rides on Sunday there is at least one group of half a dozen or so riders that like to plough through without giving way or half of them acknowledging you.  And some of them have their * serious face on.  I know it is more competitive in that environment, but they don't have automatic right to the whole trail. 

I am one of the minority that rides the park clockwise as I enjoy it more, but recently I have started thinking that it is almost time for the trails to become directional.  Easier said than done, but it is busy out there and would help with traffic management.  So while I suspect I would lose out in terms of my preferred direction, it should be on the table for future discussions.

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
Wouldn't a mountain bike bumper bar be lots more fun for the camera man. He could just run over the slow fat orange guy.

That trail looks sweet as. Too bad both riders couldn't just enjoy the freedom of riding.

Matt, what you have said is the main reason I don't ride Lysty on the weekend. If I do, its at the crack of dawn before the latte crew get there (no offense trailmix, your coffee is good). Maybe weekends are the best days to be 'Training', thats what I guess they are doing having to tear through the park at high speed. Plus, it seems like the mid week crew are a much more friendly bunch.

Maybe as the park gets busier and busier, we need some dual lane tracks, especially on Buckle, Blair and Hug - your more slocial trails. Either that, or we start putting some 6-8 foot gab jumps in. That'll sort em out.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
Sorry, should be - "weekend aren't the best days for training"
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »

Offline Oliver

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
I agree Tim, as we build more trails the traffic will thin out. I would love to see trails directional but Andy has a valid point is good tO have the freedom to change the direction you ride at Lysty.
There will also always be tools that just dOnt get life and have anger issues. Life is too short to be that angry at life and have no patience for others.

Offline Dregs

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »

That's deep man. Deep.

Cheers,

Dregs

Offline jigger

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
I think the real problem is the lack of good manners and general politeness that has infused society over the last 30 years or so.
Never forget the joy of the ride!

Offline gretsch74

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »
I see in the cafe all the time, mothers let kids run wild with no regard for other customers. There was one kid throwing rocks at customers the other day. When the lady was asked to control her kid, she replied with "you have no right to tell  what to do with  my kids i wont be coming her again and i will tell all my friends not to come her any more" ??? I was so shocked when i heard this. We are living in a self centered society at the moment.
I am awesome at MTB in my mind.

Offline Martin

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »
i vote for the 8 foot gap jumps - with alligators!
Mountain bike instruction and coaching: www.dividingrangemtb.com.au

Offline Numbnuts

• Ginger Vs Ugly? Ginger Wins.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »
"you have no right to tell  what to do with  my kids i wont be coming her again and i will tell all my friends not to come her any more" ??? I was so shocked when i heard this.

Wow. Bet your glad she's not coming back! If she has a kid that's throws rocks at people she probably doesnt have the kind of friends you'd want patronizing the cafe anyway.

Offline Matt

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 01:59:48 PM »
I was coming down Bermicide the other day and someone was riding up it.  Thinking of this thread I politely said 'It's one way mate'.  The response was 'I know'.  Which you would assume he would give the sign at the bottom telling you not to ride up it... 

Anyway, I looped around for another go and noticed there was no sign at the bottom of Follow Me where it hits the fire road.  About 50 yards down Bermicide there was a signing saying do not ride up, so I moved it to the bottom of Follow Me.  I hope this is ok.  The point being that some permanent signage is needed before someone gets hurt.  Not sure who is responsible, but is someone from the club able to look into it if it is not already being done?

Offline Uphillcursing

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
I have been pretty impessed with the good natured and well mannered behavior of people on the bidirection trails. Was fairly sceptical about how that would work when i first got here but work it does.

Usually ride with my kids on Sat mornings and we try to always stop to let people through. Most people aknowlege this with a freindly "thanks guys".
Did have one pair of "athletes" that we caught up on hug and were not going to let us through for love nor money. Eventually they blew up and pulled up to "admire the view". Not sure if they were embarrased being caught by a 10 year old or were just selfish.

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!