Author Topic: More trail etiquette topics  (Read 13222 times)

Offline Kaska

More trail etiquette topics
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
Howdy all,

Just following on from previous discussions re: trail etiquette, what with Lysty becoming more and more popular these days, it would be great to see more signs at trails outlining trail etiquette and promoting riders to be more aware of their surroundings... Would be good to see more signs around promoting MTB Trail Codes and Respect Codes similar to that of IMBA (e.g. http://www.imba-au.com/imba-trails/respect-code) ... Above all else its about promoting awareness that the sport can be dangerous and all riders (regardless of skill, age, etc..) must respect each other AND be aware of each other on the trails in order to avoid any collisions or other nasty situations... Not sure if the club is keen on this but maybe some discussions with Parks Victoria is required. There is a risk that one day riders may get seriously hurt, either by a trail collision or via 'trail rage'... (I have witnessed both scenarios before but not at Lysty).

For example, during my weekend rides at Lysty I have noticed an increase in riders who 'park' in the middle of the trails or at junctions chatting or working on their bikes; they need to pull over coz they can be a hazard. Also, all riders need to call out "track" or "bike" whether you're riding uphill or downhill, keep left, assess the situation, be polite, say hello, etc...

Anyway, that is my rant, I'm going to post this on Lysty's Facebook page too as I would like to see some further discussion on this... keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Chris

Offline Alistair

Re: More trail etiquette topics
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
I think your onto something here, I personally haven't seen any rage incidents at lysty but its probably only a matter of time. Furthermore, the regular debates on rotorburn regarding knowledge of the IMBA rules of the trail, or ignorance thereof, suggests that a big reminder sign somewhere at the trailhead might be a good idea.

Mostly I just see dumb stuff like guys riding around in the dark without lights and most recently some riders stopping to hold a little tea party in the middle of the follow me trail. Had to slam the anchors on with that last one, said they never heard me coming but with the chain slap you get on the Remedy then I find that difficult to believe  :D

Offline Kaska

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »
I bet my hard tail has way more chain slap than your bike  ;D

I must say the same scenario has happened to me at Follow Me when a couple of guys had left their bikes on the track near the jumps/rhythm section, had to completely stop and wait for them to pick their bikes up out the way. As for other sections of Lysty pretty much every time I'm riding,'close calls' on trails are becoming more frequent.

Education and awareness is the key, I haven't been to Trailmix for a little while but maybe signage is required there as a lot of people hire bikes or have coffees there etc. But as you said, signs at major trail heads is recommended. Perhaps the cost can be covered by a sausage sizzle or donation day ride thingee??

Offline Kaska

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
... And another thing, rubbish... I'm seeing way more water bottles, tubes, food wrappers and other bike related stuff on trails. Not good enough!

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »
Great post Kaska.

If you have ridden the Youies, you just can't miss the signage both at the trail heads and carparks.
When I first started riding Lysty, I found it hard to know where to ride or much about correct trail etiquette. I have gradually learned trail etiquette from riding with the club and reading about it in AMB. And trail knowledge just comes with more miles.

As Lysty is almost a 'City' MTB park, traffic is going to get busier and busier. It's the same as surfing down at Torquay, most of the guys in the know never surf at Bells cause all the city guys surf there, cause thats where everyone else goes. People feel safer surfing where other people surf. But drive 5 more minutes and you get waves to yourself. Lysty is the same, its super convenient, and relatively safe riding (nothing too difficult). For these reasons, it is getting more and more riders.

Hopefully PV can come to the party and get some great signage around with trail guidance and etiquette, and stamp Lysty as the states premier MTB venue.

I would hate to see injuries via 'trail rage', but collisions are going to happen, especially with crew stopping on 'Follow Me'. Maybe on our next trail build we need to get some 'No stopping' signs up there and on the SMBT (aka CGT) decent.

Tim
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:42:24 AM »
Good points there Brossie. For alot of people Lysty is their first experience of MTB, therefore we want to help them out as much as possible with right informaton and make it easily accessible. Sure that PV would be supportive of this if we put it to them.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »
Great Idea Guys...

What would you want to see on a sign (i will get it made!!)

Offline Brossie (Tim)

• LDTR Committee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »
Maybe we can all do a little recon on our next rides at other parks. We could take a few pics of the signs that they have around. This will give us a better idea of what signage works and is effective.

Who would we need to MMS or email the pics to?

At some of the main trail heads (Buckle - SMBT - Hug - Trailmix) we could have some generic signs saying "Keep left on trail", "No stopping on trails", "Let faster riders pass", Offer assistance to stranded riders" etc. Put up on an over head bean so you can't miss them as you start riding from each car park.
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin.

Offline Kaska

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
Hi guys,

Just some ideas I got from IMBA to kick start the signage (note will require further info under each heading):

1. Ride on Open Trails Only (e.g. resepct trail / road closures or trails under construction);
2. Leave no Trace (e.g. practice low-imapct riding [no skidding!], avoid wet / muddy trails, don't cut switchback, DON'T LITTER!, etc..)
3. Always Yield Trail (be aware of surroundings, let other trail riders know you're coming by calling "track" or "bike", KEEP LEFT, DON'T STOP ON TRAILS, etc.. anticipate other trail users around corners / blind spots, prepare to stop if necessary, etc...)
4. Never scare animals (e.g. awareness of native animals and horse riders)
5. Plan Ahead (know your bike / equipment, skill level and make sure your are prepared for all types of weather / conditions --- know where you are riding in case of emergency)
6. Emergency (make sure you carry a mobile - call 000 or 112 [on mobile] for emergency - what about Parks Victoria contacts??)
7. Respect other riders (no abusive or aggressive behaviour).

I've been mountain biking since the early 1990s and I love how the sport has evolved into what it is today. Alistair, you are quite right, Lysty is a lot of people's first experience and we all have responsibilities (whether you are a club member or not) to promote a safe and socially / environmentally sustainable park from regular riders > club members > tourists.

I've been riding at Lysty since 2003 but have only been a club member for nearly a year, I guess I just want to contribute some way!!

Anyway better get back to writing an impact assessment report due by COB today (Doh!).

Cheers,
Chris

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
Great Work Kaska!!

So we make a sign "Rules of the Trail"

1. Ride on Open Trails Only  

2. Leave no Trace (practice low-imapct riding [no skidding!], avoid wet / muddy trails, don't short cut, DON'T LITTER!)

3. Always Yield Trail (be aware of surroundings, let other trail riders know you're coming by calling "track" or "bike", KEEP LEFT, DON'T STOP ON TRAILS, etc.. anticipate other trail users around corners / blind spots, prepare to stop if necessary)

4. Never scare animals (be aware are respectfull of native animals and horse riders)

5. Plan Ahead (know your bike / equipment, skill level and make sure your are prepared for all types of weather / conditions --- know where you are riding in case of emergency)

6. Emergency (make sure you carry a mobile - call 000 or 112 [on mobile] for emergency

7. Respect other riders (no abusive or aggressive behaviour)

8. Help build and maintain the trails you ride (Lysterfield trails are maintained by volunteers who ride in the park just like you)

9. Have Fun.

please add or modify the "rules" as you see fit!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:16:57 PM by Andrew »

Offline Alistair

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »
That all looks pretty good. Its not a rule as such, but something about doing some trailbuilding would be good to.

8. Help build and maintain the trails you ride (Lysterfield trails are maintained by volunteers who ride in the park just like you)

Offline Matt

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
First or last needs to be Have Fun.

If we just post a big list of rules no one will even read them.

Can I bump this thread also - has anyone ridden the CGT yesterday / today - is it worth going out for a ride or do we wait till next week?

Offline Trek Rider

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »
First or last needs to be Have Fun.

If we just post a big list of rules no one will even read them.

Can I bump this thread also - has anyone ridden the CGT yesterday / today - is it worth going out for a ride or do we wait till next week?

Hi Matt

I rode CGT both 25th and 26th and to me it seem's the same as the other times i have rode it [ About 8 in total }

There wasn't a single other person on the trail as they where all packed into the lake carpark area , and riding the trails over there other side of the park .

I stayed off the other trails as per the advice , but there was even a bloke unloading his freshly polished s works out of the back of his freshly polished black volvo wagon who seemed to head off in the direction of the lake from the CGT carpark area .

On the 25th i just got back to the carpark as it started to * down rain to the point i couldn't see out of the windscreen drving off , karma that that very "special rider" who maybe didn't know all the trails where closed be must have still been out in that downpore  8)

Having not rode much a in the area i cannot see how you can have rules without any signage in general  :-\

Offline Matt

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 08:50:44 AM »
Thanks Mr Trek.  Going to head out this morning as the weekend is a no go.

Offline Martin

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
mmm... sorry but i disagree with some kind of "no stopping on the trails" argument.

sessioning trail features is a major part of learning MTB skills (as a couple of senior club members will attest to with the amount of time they've spent practicing elements of Follow Me)

there's also the "mtbers at lysterfield are so unfriendly factor" - if the rules of the trail are explicitly staying don't stop on the trails then it's putting into people's minds that stopping to talk to someone (maybe to answer someone's question) is a bad thing

being aware of your surroundings and not stopping just around a blind bend is fair enough, maybe wording to the effect of avoiding blocking the track if stopped. on the other hand it still comes down to riders riding within their sight lines
Mountain bike instruction and coaching: www.dividingrangemtb.com.au

Want to race at Lysterfield? Checkout the racing area!